EFI vs. Carb..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Josh.S, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wanting to know what you guys though about the EFI system? Perticularly I was thinking about them on Dixie Chopper.. everybody has a different opinion, but basicially all I have heard about them is that they use less gas, and really thats about it, I talked to an lco at the local dealer today and she loved the Dixie Chopper Supreme (28hp Kohler EFI) way more than the Flatlander (27hp)... I have found a mower with an EFI system and without it that are about the same price and I'm undecided on what to do.. any suggestions would be appreciated....

Thanks!

- Josh

2. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a 26 EFI for several years with no problems. One thing to keep in mind is though there are more electronic components to go bad.

3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Supreme 28/60 about 400 hrs on it and love it it consumes less gas than my 2 Everride Warriors with 25 Kawy on them by about 10/15 % yes you will pay about $1000 more but I dont think I will buy a carb model again I like my warriors but choking sucks when its cold out

4. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

do you run new? because if you have to pay to get the EFI worked on after the warranty is up, oboy it's not cheap.

5. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

When the warranty is gone so are the mowers get new every 2-3 years

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The dealers in my area hate them for some reason. Some won't even sell one unless you order it. I would definately want to go that route if they are as reliable as most have reported. I am going to guess you would save about 75 cents per hour at $3 per gallon for gas. This is figuring a 25% better fuel economy. So after 1000 hrs you should save $750 in fuel. This is just a guess because Exmark claims up to 20% better fuel but some say its closer to 30% so I split the difference. So it would take over 1000 hrs by my quick math to make up the difference in price EFI over a carb. Boy am I going to hear the crap on this one. I just figured if fast in my head so I could be wrong but I don't think so. Don't give me the "it gets twice as good economy " because not even the mower manufacturers will go that far. But I will definately own one (efi) one day. We probably all will.

7. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly, I don't care about gas, I more care about something that will be nice to run, dependable and reliable... The 2 mowers I am looking at are the same price with about the same hours (EFI has 100 hrs less).. I don't know what to do..

8. tacoma200

Most like the simplicity of a carb then.....

9. tacoma200

But I personally would take the EFI for the same price

10. greenbronco

greenbronco LawnSite Member

on walker 26EFI's theres another component too , a nearly $400 electric fuel pump. My employee ran it out of gas this summer , the dealer said something about they overheat when they run out of gas , theres no choke of course and trying to restart or it being dry fried it. He said in the future always keep tank at least 1/4 full. I have often wondered if cars are the same.