Efi

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by slplow, Jan 7, 2006.

1. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I went from a 26 EFI walker to a 23hp kaw exmark lazer hp and love it. But my lazer hp is a pig on gas compared to the efi walker. Is there going to be an EFI option in the near future. With the cost of fuel these days, I think it would be one of your best sellers.

2. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

Send them an Email. I sent them one a couple years ago asking for it. They gave me the answer that it would cost too much. So I replied back spouting the same thing there literature claims are the advantages of EFI. Number one being that it would pay for itself with the 20% fuel savings. Now the HP has a 27, still no efi, how is that going to be on gas consumption. With the gas prices skyrocketing, three hundred bucks to upgrade to efi is a no brainer.
    Come on Exmark, tell us why. If your marketing people don't see this they need to get in touch w/ reality. I am a small business and a 20% cost savings of my gas used in mowers only, is over $1000 a season.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello 3Bladz,
    We do offer a 28 hp Kohler Command SP V-Twin EFI on the Lazer Z. I know this doesn't fit your HP needs, but it does fill the EFI need for some users. I'll pass along your thoughts on the need for an EFI HP.
    Thanks Brian

4. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I the only way I would buy a 27hp even on a 56'' deck would be if gas was under $1.25. The 23hp has more than enough power. But like I posted it's pig and on average I used 3 gal more a day than the 26hp EFI walker. So for a couple of weeks with gas well over $3.00 it was killing me. I could have gone for the full size Lazer with the EfI( that I took for a demo) but it was to darn big for the size lawn around here. Even being a 28 hp EFI, it still used less fuel a day than my hp. Heck if they made a EFI for a hydro walk I would buy that in a heart beat too.

5. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

I have a 27hp on a 52 Toro and it uses slightly more gas but not 3 gallons a day more than my 23's. 23hp is enough for an Exmark 52 most of the time. But not when mulching. When exmark went to bigger pumps on the HP last year I could tell it used more hp to turn them. I don't think I would consider a 23 with the 56" unless that deck design doesn't need as much horsepower. I find it interesting how much more power the newer stuff takes. My old Toro SFS was 72" and only 25hp and it never did bog. My new Toro Z500 has 27hp and only a 52" deck and it bogs all the time. But the toro mulches way better than the exmark, and it doesn't bog when mulching. Go figure. If Exmark is watching, does the new deck use more or less horsepower? After running the full size Toro 52 for a couple years, it is apparent how much more productive the HP is. It would be sweet to have efi in the HP, I could justify trading the Toro a year early. Also w/ efi 23 horse might do well with the 56 since it has better torque response.

6. eXmark

Hey 3Bladz,
    I just visited with the Product Manager for the Triton. He said the new Triton deck does not use more power than the previous Ultra Cut deck, in fact it might use less HP. When comparing make sure both decks have the same type of blade.
    Thanks Brian

7. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

Thanks for the reply. I wish exmark had these out last fall to demo. I really wanted to make decision before spring. I guess it'll give me a chance to try the new deere deck. BTW what happened to the kohler 23. It is kinda nice having all one brand of engine. Parts commonality, especially filters. Now you have Briggs, Kaw, and Kohler. Are you going away from Kohler for some reason.

8. eXmark

Hello 3Bladz, I don't think there is a concerted effort to go away from any engine manufacturer, but rather the market dictating demand for the engines we are introducing.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

EFI should be STANDARD on ALL these twin cylinder engines. At least all the electric start engines.

If the reliability is there (has been) and the price isn't too much more, these should sell like hot cakes.

Just keep pushing the fuel efficiency and power.

Do you think the "Project Manager" for any product will admit to his design performing worse than it's predecessor?

On paper/computer, I have yet to see the advantages of the Triton deck. To me, it looks like it will require MORE power to run, and ground speed will have to be lower to process each chambers' clippings 2-3 times before exiting the deck.

10. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

I agree about the efi. It seems like they are so afraid they are going to lose a sale over 200 bucks. I thought commercial sales were what exmark was all about. Now they make these "sabre" models and when I try to trade a 2 year old mower it's not worth crap cause they have a 4000 dollar brand new one sitting on the lot. Even though it doesn't have all the features, which one is a large estate owner going to buy? A brand new one or one that has an air cleaner that the filter will out last their lifetime. Even a machine I run a thousand hours will still give most any homeowner a lifetime of trouble free use. If there is no market for my used stuff it makes it harder to justify buying a new one. Which brings me to my point (finally) that exmark has provide me with more productivity or lower operating costs. Again efi would have been an easy gain. They claim it's their new deck, ok I'll try it out this spring and see. But $4200 trade difference is a lot of productivity to gain. Heck I could buy the "sabre" and throw it away at the end of the year.