Efloresence

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by turfquip, Apr 22, 2007.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

This is something that really irks me. How do you explain to a customer that has just spent xx thousands on a retaining wall, that the color they picked, purchased and paid to have installed will now be dappled with white powdery looking crap for the next three years - or maybe forever.

I know what it is...I have heard the explanations from block suppliers all over town. But, some (batches) of blocks have it, some don't. I believe manufacturers should set aside stained blocks or at least classify them as grade B's or something.

Bottom line, blocks with efflorescence are embarrassing to a meticulous, high dollar installer as myself. It really s*cks!

Had to vent....anybody else concered about it or do you just say oh well!

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

This topic used to bug the crap out of me. And because of it I try at all costs to avoid certain manufacturers product. They all have it to an extent but some are notorious for it, we put a clause in our contract specifically about it, needless to say we've had lots of complaints years ago....

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Just because it has it now, doesn't mean it wouln't fade with weathering. Just because it doesn't have it now doesn't mean it wouln't appear. It's naturally occuring in any concrete product.

4. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

I've never had to do it, but I'm prepared to pull the tag off of the pallet (the one that explains about it) and show it to the customer if they don't believe me. Our stuff seems to be pretty clean off the pallet though.

5. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Try using a "Etch & Efflorescence Cleaner", about $25.00 a gallon. the extra cleaning step sucks, but next time using that manufactures product add it into your bid.......cleaner and labor.

6. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

You should check to see if you have Efflorescence, which will go away, or perhaps, your pallet of wall block got wet during heavy rain and it has portland cement stains, which will NOT go away. I've had that happen before.

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

if you used Techo-Bloc - this problem would hardly exist :)

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I did a techo santorini walkway last year. Mojave beige. Looks like crap. Looks good when wet. I am going to go clean it next week.