1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Eggs in one Basket

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tfilbert, Sep 9, 2005.

1. tfilbert

tfilbert LawnSite Member

I would like a little feedback on the following: 47 estate type homes in park like setting 55 acres, sloped to gently rolling, hundreds of trees, shrubs, plants. Anyone want to take a shot at estimating, sight unseen. 4-5 apps, mowing, mulch, trimming, edging, plant and low limb trimming as needed. Approximately 60 cu ft mulch per house (cedar). Bed edges to be kept razor shape in the growing season. Weeding as needed and approximately 100 trays assorted flowers throughout the year. Also requires snow removal and de-ice as needed. 1 - 1 1/4 miles road and 47 drives approximately 35 X 100. I came up with approximately $120,000.00 per year. Sound too low? Too high? We get 4-8 light snows per year and maybe 1 ice storm. Will need to put an amendment in for anything over 8" snow. It happens about every 10 years and we are due.
    No I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket here.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I come up with about $98,700 just for mowing ($60 per home).
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If I were you, I would take about a week or so to figure this out...I'll give ya my estimate in about the same time...
  4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Site unseen $146,000.00 given large sq. footage of each fert app. leaf removal and snow removal...don't cut yourself short shoot for some profits..
    Remember gas aint cheap and neither should you :blob3:
  5. tfilbert

tfilbert LawnSite Member

I have until the end of the month to submit proposal and yes I'm working these numbers forward, backward and sideways. Profit is the reason I'm in business but reputation and quality of work will last a very long time in the customers mind. I look forward to your answer.
  6. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Based on what you wrote, it sounds like these people know exactly what they want and they might be rather picky about it. That sort of thing makes a big difference. It doesn't take very long to run things over with a big Z but there is no fast way to do that "razor edging" that you mentioned. That low limb trimming can quickly add up to quite a few trailer loads full of branches as well.

A residential lot of 1/4 acre or less will typically go for $25 - $30 in most parts of the country. If you had a tight route, a 2 man crew can take care of over 100 per week. That is for mowing alone and that adds up to about the 120K that you were mentioning. Add applications, snow removal, flower bed maintenance, and all of that and your price easily doubles - but not with a 2 man crew anymore. I mention this just for a kind of reference.

I am not experinced in the large estates like you are talking about but here is my guesstimate.

Mowing, edging, trimming, blowing - 100K
    Limb removal / flower bed maintenance - 50K
    Snow removal - no idea (we mostly just wait for it to melt the next day in OK)
    Apps - no idea

I am thinking that you are way too low. 250k might be more reasonable. These people sound picky which is okay but it is the little things that eat up all of your time and profit.
  7. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I would guess at around $110,000 for the year.
  8. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I would guess at around $110,000 for the year.
  9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

55 acres? 5-6 apps? Your fert will cost you at least $10,000 per year based on 4 bags per acre and 5 apps. Then you have to include at least 1 weed app. and then you have another $1000-$2000....and these are low prices. Your price sounds low.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Tim, I came up with around 200K. Send me a pm or email to rspronck@aol.com and I will break it down for ya...