EGR Delete for 6.0 Ford

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Gravel Rat, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Time to do a delete on my 2006 F-450 and get rid of that rotten emmissions crap there is no emmissions testing here and probably never will be.

So which is the best EGR delete I have looked at a few online they range from the block off plate and modified up pipe to modified intake.

I don't know if I have any warranty left on this truck or not it has 47,000 miles it is a USA import.

I pulled the EGR valve today and it was clogged a little bit and it was a little bit wet so my EGR cooler might be weeping a little bit. So it is time to get rid of the cooler I don't want to replace the cooler POS.

Pulling wrenches isn't a problem for me but doing a EGR removal makes me a little nervous.

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

with these kits dont you have to reprogram the comp to eliminate the codes for the EGR as well?

when i blocked it off on my built monte carlo i know i turned off about 3-4 codes that were EGR related.

let me know what you find b/c im considering doing that to our 6.0L 350.

3. Gravel Rat

There is a few options out there I don't know which one. The completely modifified intake is probably the best option because you end up with a clean intake and eveything is removed.

I was looking at the Sinister Diesel EGR delete and it looked like the easiest one to install but you still have the carboned up intake inless you take the intake off and clean it out.

4. rmdm94

rmdm94 LawnSite Member
    from 34240

Just unplug it. I did 45,000 miles ago and it runs fine. My mechanic told me about it.

5. Gravel Rat

I unplugged mine on the 03 I ran if for a while like that then plugged it back in. The cooler on the 06 might be weeping so I really don't want to be building up too much heat in it leaving the EGR valve unplugged.

Nobody can give a straight answer if it is safe to leave the EGR unplugged.

Time to just get rid off the cooler and leave the EGR plugged in to fool the computer.

I got some of that black soot all over my arms what a son of a bit** to wash off and you think that crap is going back into the engine. I had to use brake clean to get it off my arms I can only imagine what the intake runners look like.

6. StoneFaced

StoneFaced LawnSite Member

7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen LawnSite Member

Get a hold of Adam Brannon at First Coast Diesel Performance, and then get a hold of Eric at Innovative Diesel.

Get yourself some gauges in, get Adam's delete in, and run Eric's programming. You'll be amazed with your truck once it's done.

You might want to keep head studs in the back of your mind as a potential cost if your cooler is leaking now. Means it's already been hot and there's the potential that other parts could have gotten hot enough to stretch some.

Have fun and be careful!

8. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok...words from a horse that has actually done this to a 6.0....Elite Diesel makes the best kit.

You will need to remove the turbo and most of the sh*t on top of the engine. The intake manifold will not need to be removed. If you take your time and lots of pictures, then it is a relativly esay job, just time consumming. Took me about 9 hours and I consider myself a pretty damn good wrencher. Now, you will not need any special tools from what I remember. Having a second pair of hands is a great help. Turbo is really heavy when trying to lift it out while laying across the engine. As far as codes, 03 and 04 will not need anything. The computer will never know the difference. 05 and newer will need to be programmed. Elite also sells these programmers. Also, 03 and 04 will not require the up pipe to be changed as there is no "Scope" inside the pipe. Just use the supplied block off plate. 05 and newer will need the up pipe replaced. Hope this helps out and feel free to ask questions....

9. Gravel Rat

Thanks for the info I'am still looking what is available see with me being in Canada getting this stuff shipped is $$$$$.

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

My EGR cooler was pulled out, the valve is still in place but unplugged and the computer is programmed to ignore it.
    Now when the engine idles, it will try to clean out the EGR valve, so the turbo will spool down, then back up and then spool up to 2 psi, sounds pretty mean.