egress window

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DoubleB, Mar 22, 2008.

1. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

Hey guys, have buddy who is a contractor and is going to install an egress window to an existing house. Wants me to build retaining wall for the well walls, no problem. Question is, just curious if any of you guys have done this before, and anything i would have to watch out for. dimensions would be 4' high/3' out/6' wide. I don't think I would need to grid it, but will look into it more. Let me know what you guys think, thanks guys.

2. JJfishes

JJfishes LawnSite Member

Double,

Depending on the manufacturer of the wall you are building you very well might need to grid it. Most times on an egress there is some drainage that needs to be worked out at the bottom of the well which actually makes the hole deeper. You might want to look into some pre-fab window wells available online to alleviate the need to do geo grid. The other thing you might need to look at is steps coming out of the egress well. This may be directly related to local building codes. Just some things to think about.

Jay

3. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

The egress window should be very close to the soil line. correct? you should not have an issue, it sounds like a nice easy job.

4. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

4' below grade!

5. nac

nac LawnSite Member

You will need some type of drainage at the bottom, depending the code in your area you will need steps or a lader and also if it is 4' high you will defintly need geogrid. I have done them with SRW block and prefab plastic kits the SRW looks a lot better but the prefab kit is easyier to install.

6. JNyz

The top of the window will be 4' below grade?

7. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

No the bottom of the window will be around 4' below grade.

8. JNyz

is the window at the top of the foundation?

9. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

Done right, these are a very expensive job.

Done wrong, they are quick.

Drainage is usually in code. Meaning, it has to drain somewhere. If it doesn't, you ain't doing it right. Draining to ground is not a option.

I got called to do one and digging the hole and setting up drainage I was up to $3500. They didn't like the price and went to someone cheap. $800.

Well, I wouldn't want to be the homeowner looking out my egress window with fish and frogs looking back at me. And, that's a lot of pressure. Mine was 8ft deep.

And yes, I have seen a lot of them that had filled with water. Drainage was not right. Done by landscapers.

Have fun and do the Right job.

10. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

what would be the best way to drain the egress window then? The house was built in the 60's and has an existing window well with a small 2'x1' window now...so not sure if there is any type of drainage in the area now...i guessing not. Have any advise for the best route to take?