1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

el nino mean a better growing season?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfsup, Mar 8, 2002.

1. turfsup

turfsup LawnSite Member

I was watching the Weather Channel today and they were talking about the el nino effect on north america. Here in the southeast were expected to get a lot more rainfall than years past(mainly during the 2002-2003 winter). The last time this happened was in '98 but I wasnt in this biz yet so I didn't notice- too busy surfing! Anyway, my question to the southern boys is can we expect a longer growing season due to increased rainfall and milder temps thru most of next winter? I'm assuming so but I could be wrong. Any replies would be great!
  2. All I can say is I am perpared for it.
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I thought El Nino was a dry event. Maybe that was his sister we had, La Nina, that dang near killed us with dust!:rolleyes:
  4. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

The last time we saw El Nino most LCO's had to continue with their summer schedule (weekly cuts) through December. We didn't get much of a break that year, but it did boost our profits.
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Last nite our local meteroliguessergist said it meant a dryer summer in SC. I think it mean a wetter winter next year though(like thats going to do us any good). How could it get any dryer than it is? He also said it meant fewer hurricanes but I dont think we had any come close to sc last year and that really hurt. No matter what happens it can only be an improvement here.