1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

El Nino...ummmmmmmm

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by WJW Lawn, Jan 6, 2007.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

So it's January and in the 70's here in North Carolina....ummmmmmm...when did Florida move here? Seems like spring is right around the corner, but Im not complaining. Wacky weather this winter!!
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I am starting to believe all this stuff about global warming...December was the warmest on record.
  3. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

As of now its 65 in MD. Thats at 10:00. :cry: I gave up on the isea of snow.
  4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I read where it wasnt Global Warming, and that El Nino is completely different. But that's just what I read...and you know how that goes.
  5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

We cant forget about the changing of the earths magnetic pole. They say they can see a difference in the magnetic fields reversing.
    Global warming
    Magnetic poles
    El nino
    La nina
    Melting of ploar ice caps
    Whos or whats to blame
    How about the earth has a heartbeat and breaths on it's own.
  6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

From what I was told, it is a El Nino that has the Jet Stream bottled up in Canada and not allowing any Arctic air to spread southeast. Its suppose to be 70 or so here today in Atlanta. Its suppose to get cold again this week, but its not going to last long because there are to many warm fronts pulling up out of the gulf....I mean even Louisiana had a few tornado's yesterday, and thats almost unheard of....But I just have this strange feeling that its going to snow in April here in Atlanta.....hope not, but just a bad feeling.....
    I am excited, because I have been have seed a few lawn because of how warm the ground temp has been. All my lawns that I over-seeded with Rye in Sept and Oct are doing great....Even some of those I seeded in Nov and Dec are doing great.....Plus we have finally started to get some rain, so I am not complaining at all.....
    Now I know its a different story for all you snow plowing guys.....this has got to be a kicker right between the goal post.....because no snow, means no work, which means no $$$$$$....Hope most of you guys have a back up plan and wasnt depending on the snow to take you through the winter.....
    But I am headed out in just a little to do some fishing....
  7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Nope that not it.
    The winds over the pacific ocean blows warm water to the west towards asia and cool waters rise from the bottom on the east side of the pacific.
    In el nino years the winds change and the warmer waters move to the east side of the pacific. That is the cause of el nino in a nut shell
  8. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

Me to Rod. I now believe it is happening. It is January 6th and in central pa. it is almost going to be 70 degrees today. It is not like its been real cold and we have a fluke hot day, but its been like this. Im not listening anymore to this crap about global warming not happening.

That argument is nothing but political, and pundits trying to strenghen their own parties agendas. The hell with politics, and politicians, and pundits.
  9. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

In another week or so everybody is going to be complaining how cold it is.... enjoy the warm weekend fellas
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep, it cooled of quite a bit here and snow is in the forcast.:cool2: