Elaborate striping, got any pics?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jan 28, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Have been reading David Mellor's book, Picture Perfect about lawn striping and saw some neat designs and it inspired me to create a couple that I will try in spring. Was wondering if anyone makes any logos, intricate patterns or just a regular pattern setup different than the normal checkerboard look, like a plaid pattern that has different widths of stripes to it? I know it is ineffecient, but maybe you guys do it on your own lawn or occasionally for a client just for something different? Could you post any pics please? Thanks,
    Eric

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Talk to Greenquest lawn....

But why are you wasting your time reading about striping. Have you ever picked up a business book? I would bet a marketing book would do you wonders.

3. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Mac I have to ask is that your picture?

4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Im sure he gets all the girls:D

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I have been reading Nillson's books and alot on the 'net too. I'm fascinated with striping and enjoy it so I want to see about doing something different. I have my mind on something and will post a pic if I ever do it. haha it would be so cool.

6. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I believe that's one of his photos from Glamour Shots. LOL!

Eric, Where did you find David Mellor's book? Book store or on the web somewhere?

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Mykster, a friend loaned it to me but it is available here:
    http://www.wiley.com/cda/product/0,,1575041510,00.html

It seems like it is aimed more towards sports turf keepers but it is good for LCO's too, although some of the patterns take a bit longer to mow and seem like they would require grass that responds to striping better than what we usually deal with. It's a good book and has alot of pictures in it and instructions for doing the patterns shown and it explains everything.
    Eric

8. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I got the book last spring.....I refer back to it quite a bit for my yard. I have tried checkerboard, but didn't really work because all I had was the deck pitch down a qurter of an inch, now I have a chain kit so I think it will be able to do checkerboard better this comming spring...I can't wait! I did try the diamond pattern also, I went both ways and all I got basically was half of the pattern: The picture is stored on here if you want to see it, it's the top biggest picture: Pictures

9. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

It is also available at larger book stores. I bought mine at Barnes and Noble, and they had plenty in stock. You can find it in the garden/home improvement section.

10. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I got a used copy from www.Amazon.com