1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Elbow Pain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by borissaid, Mar 24, 2005.

1. borissaid

borissaid LawnSite Member

Okay no easy jokes on this one...
    My Elbow gets extremely aggravated from weedeating. Does anyone have this problem and if so what can be done about it? Are there any products or ways to rig your trimmer so this doesnt happen?
    Thanks for the help...
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

does your arm or hand get numb? If it does, of course I am not doctor, but it sounds like you have tennis elbow.
  3. gettingstartedtampa

gettingstartedtampa LawnSite Member

Is the pain on the outside of the elbow? If so you probably have Tennis Elbow. It hurts and hurts and hurts. It only gets well with time and limiting the use. Ice it down every chance you get. I had it once and it took almost 4 months to fully recover. Apparently from lifting you can get the same tendon damage as the motion of a tennis player backhanding the racket. Add a twist from pulling a stick edger or backpack blower over the trailer side and you have the same motion. It results in micro tears of the tendon on the outer edge of the elbow. If you keep using it the tears will grow and really hurt. Mine was so bad I couldn't even drink coffee left handed. Golfers get it on the insde of the elbow because the mechanics of the golf swing are different. Check out these braces ....they look hokey but they actually help shorten the tenden by compressing it after the tear so the torn part can heal. If you have to work and need your arms this is worth the money. Mine had a cold/hot gel pack insert that you could freeze or nuke in the microwave. Check it out here: http://www.docortho.com/Orthopedic_Supports/Catalog/Epicondylitis_F30.html

Good luck in your recovery.
  4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

vitamin B-6 and holding my pinky finger out like I'm British and drinking tea worked for me. A nurse told me about the vitamin and luck got me the other tip. Good luck !
  5. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like your out of shape. Build up your arm muscles and let the muscles carry the weight. Soon you'll have one Popeye arm and you'll be complaining about that.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

There have been replies about this in the past. Use the search function and you might find some remedies for that condition.
  7. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I use UDOs greens plus, and UDOs high lignan flax oil, and I juice fresh juice each morning (all veg, NO FRUITS!). Go to udoerasmus.com and see some athletes confirmation. It will also help your stamina, but you have to give it 2 or more weeks to start kicking in.
  8. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

I'd see a GP. They can prescribe anti-inflammatories, inject cortisone (painful, but worth it), advise on exercises and bracing, check for arthritis, etc.
  9. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Outside of elbow=Tennis elbow
    Inside of elbow=Golfer's elbow

Basicly it is a strain or tear on either the tendons or ligaments ans needs time to heal. At night put ice on it to reduce the inflamation, which is what is causint the pain. Go to the herb store and get a small vile of Lavender oil and a small vile of Lemongrass oil. Rub about 3-4 drops of each on tendor area. Start using an elbow brace to give your elbow some support also.

Numbness in the hands and fingers is common for anyone using vibratory tools and it is called Rainards (sp) disease. When the numbness happens it is important to keep the area warm and moving to increase the blood flow.