Elderly customers who can't hear

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by little green guy, Nov 12, 2000.

1. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a problem, when I call some of my elderly customers they can't hear me and keep saying "who, who who" and it gets realy anoying. I had one cutomer hang up on me today. I speak loud and clear. I think they need caller id. Anybody got any solutions?
  2. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

Go into the business of selling hearing aids as a side job. or go to a local hearing aid business and refer them to a few of your customers as potential clients. If that doesnt work your get a megaphone :)

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I think some people have selective hearing. In other words, they hear what they want to. If you called them and suggested they may have won something or you were going to give them something, their hearing might be greatly improved. Otherwise....a pen and paper dude:)
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I rarely call my customers. Why do you need to call these people?
  5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We or should I say I dont call our accounts unless late on monthly billing or have not serviced them for whether beyond our control and running behind. My wife does the P.R. stuff and that works out for me. I keep my P.R with customers when we arrive and when we leave (greet them with a smile and say hi and leave with a smile and say have a nice day). Im not sure why you are calling them but I would say just go up to there house and talk with them.
  6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a few that are that way, my bus. # is my pager & when they call I get message and go to their house and talk to them in person.They think I made a special trip to talk to them about what they wanted, really makes em happy & gets me a lot of refferals too.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Send them a letter in huge letters.
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I like Mow Money idea.I have dealt with this
    a lot.Whats bad is when they call and ask
    you to come out,(thank you,ill be looking
    for you then)an forget to give address
    or any way to get there.Happen fairly
    often and i havn t come up with a solution yet.
  9. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Had an elderly wonam call and leave the following on my machine" Come and plow my driveway".

I have no idea who it was.

Problem is that she will never relize what she did, (not leaving her name or number), and the only concequence will be that she will tell her friends/relatives/neighbors that jaclawn did not plow her driveway.
  10. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

I had a lady call me, ask me to call her back and then leave my phone number on my answering machine.
    I also have two elderly and very deaf customers who like to have "conversations". Those are tough.