Electric Blade Clutch ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Titans Fan, May 16, 2006.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

I have a Scag Tiger Cub with 609 hours on it. At least three times a day the electric blade clutch doesn't engage when I flip the switch. Does this sound like it is going out.

I also broke a good belt today. Right in half. No visable wear either.

2. lms

lms LawnSite Member

I would be willing to bet the reason you snapped that belt was because one of the idler pulleys on the deck is too low. (or two high i can't remember) Because of this, the belt rubs on the top or bottom lip of the pulley and snaps with no signs of wear. To fix this, take off the offending pulley and put some washers under it.This exact problem occured twice on my 2004 tiger cub. Luckily though, my dealer gave me new belts free of charge both times.

3. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

You can adjust the gap on the clutch. There is three screws under clutch tighten little and this will help, don't over adjust.

4. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, your switch may be going bad, or the terminals are corroded. Use baking soda and water as a cleaner, and a toothbrush to clean.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

With the low usage I won't think the clutch needs adjusting and the switch shouldn't be a problem unless it has been power washed or left in the weather. I would look for loose connections or one of the kill swithes not adjusted properly.

6. fireman649

fireman649 LawnSite Member

I have had to adjust the air gap on scags a lot, they do wear and then need readjustment. Does it sometimes work and then sometimes won't, if so, that's probably your problem. Hope this helps.

Steve