1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

electric brakes help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ron, Feb 22, 2001.

1. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 6x14 dual axle trailer that has two wires running from the wheels to the front my question is how can i hook these wires onto my reese brake controler on my 1998 chevy c2500 blue brake wire..i have tryied it all and nothing seems to work except for my reese brake controler the red light comes on when i hit the brakes..
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

One wire from the brakes to the controler, normally blue at that point and one is a ground.
  3. performanceturf

performanceturf LawnSite Member

The electo-magnet inside the brake drum should be energized when you put power to it. If not, check your wires and ground wires. Also I have found electric brakes need to be adjusted regularly. If adjustment is left too loose there is not enough travel to engage the brakes.
    Hope that helps.
  4. ron

ok does it matter which one is the ground wire from the axle and is it ok to splice the wires together then place with the blue wire
  5. ron

ok thanks i will check out the brake adjustment
  6. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell LawnSite Member

Sounds like a familiar conversation, doesn't Eric. :)

Ron, I am hooking up a brake system on my 6x14 tandem too. I was bugging Eric about this just the other night. Just need to finish my controller hook-up, and I'll have her done. Just trying to make sure that I get ahold of the right brake wire under the dash, off of the brake switch.