electric brakes?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GreenGrassEarnsCash, Jun 14, 2005.

1. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

Are electric brakes a must when buying an enclosed trailer used to haul lawn equipment? Im going to buy a 6 by 12 enclosed haulmark trailer to haul my 52" stander and my 36" encore and possibly another stander eventually. Also are torsion axles a must? Most of my driving will be around town not much highway driving. Any help with this is appreciated!

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

On a 6x12 I wouldn't say they are a must. It really depends on how much you are hauling around, and what you are using to tow the trailer.

Most 6x12 enclosed trailers are single axle, and most single axle trailer do not come with brakes.

From the sound of your set-up, you may want to go with something larger with two axles, like a 7x12.

From my understanding, most single axle trailers are only rated for 2900lbs. which includes the weight of the trailer.

3. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

dont really want to spend more than 3 thousand tho

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

But you don't want to ruin your $3k investment by over loading it. I think you are going to be close to the gross weight of the trailer with the equipment you have now plus the trailer. I would step up to a tandem. Better to spend it now and be set for the future. Than to spend $3k now and a month or so down the road having to buy another larger trailer. So really you would be saving money buying the correct trailer now.

5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a 2005 Haulmark 6x12. It was $3500.

When it comes to enclosed trailers, you get what you pay for. The cheaper ones are built cheaply: Larger span between ribs(18" on center instead of 12" on center), cheaper tires, flimsy interior walls(3/16" thick veneer instead of 1/2" thick plywood), inferior suspension......etc.

6. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I have the haulmark transport dlx. The electric brakes were only about 200-500 more.. They are a life savor... It it close to impossible to stop without them when you have a heavy load.. I would say go for it.. You won't regret it! - Peter

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have a small trailer about 5x10 with a cage for blowers and sides on it. We carry a 21" and 36" and some trimmers and blowers. This trailer does not have brakes. I have had several times during the start of a rain when I lockup the truck brakes and the trailer will push the truck when on a slight hill. When I pump the brakes I am okay but sometimes when the truck is sliding you think about pushing on the brakes not taking your foot off. This small trailer will push a F250 Ford ...it is scary. I would get the brakes.

8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

My 6 by 12 enclosed does okay without brakes, it all depends how much traffic you are dealing with....my Toyota Tacoma does fine stopping it.....never slammed on the brakes........if you can afford it, go for it...at the time I got the trailer the extra $$ went towards other equipment....

9. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

But why would you even want to waste your truck brakes when you can have the trailer slow down the truck? Thats basically what mine does. If the brakes ever go out on my truck, i can allways use the trailer to stop me.. Im telling you.. get it! You wont regret it..

10. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I'd say spend a few hundred bucks on the electric brakes. my older trailer 5 x 10 didn't have them and it was slow to stop, also it wore out the truck brakes fast all city driving had $800 brake job at 13,000 miles. My new trailer is a 6' 11" x 13' single axle. I had the dealer install electric brakes on it, huge difference. The controller I got could be better it's really twitchy on the adjustment but when you have to brake because some idiot turns out in front of you the $300 - $400 you spent will be a lot cheaper than an accident. In this city the drivers are a bunch of clueless #$%*@ who must have won their license in a raffle because they sure don't know the rules of the road, :angry: Anyway get them you won't regret it when you have to stop in a hurry.