Electric brakes?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LawnsRUsInc., May 3, 2003.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have a problem with my electric brakes. I just had the brake controller put into my ford F 250. It worked for the first day and then it didn't. I was wondering if any of you guys have any advice could it be the ground on the trailer, but then why would my trailer lights work fine all the time if the ground is bad. Please help me I'm getting frustrated.

Thanx Jason

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a $5 electric test light? Check if you are getting juice at the plug. If so then the problem is in the trailer wiring. Test again at where the brake is. I had frayed wires after only a week with one of my trailers. Where they drilled the holes and ran the wire through was lots of jagged metal that just ate through the brake wire. Or if you bought it new take the trailer back and they can probably fix it in 10 minutes for no charge.

3. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

My actuator has a "balance knob" on the bottom (not to be confused with the sensitivity adjustment) and it must be adjusted in order to work properly.

4. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

i had a brake actuator installed in my chevy 1500, about two weeks before i picked up my new trailer. i picked up my trailer and then went to work for my part time job. when i tried to leave, I put my truck in gear, and my trailer brakes were locked. went back to the installer, and they said that the wiring was incorrect, and that they had forgotten to correctly connect some wires.

Thank God this did not happen as i pulled out of my trailer dealership and increased my speed to 60 mph.