1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Electric chainsaw sharpener?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by CK82, Jul 13, 2008.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a good chain sharpener for my chainsaw. I am not looking to spend more than a few hundred dollars, but would like a quality product. What would you recommend? Also what do I all need in order to sharpen properly?

Thanks, Chris
  2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

If you don't mind supporting the chinese war machine, the $40.00 rotary chain saw chain sharpener from Harbor Freight works quite well.
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Depending on how many you go through wouldn't it be better just to drop them off the be sharpened by someone else?
  4. HighlandLC

HighlandLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

I run a oregon Duramax # 108181. Probably 5 years now. If you dont use it a lot, you can pay 7-10 bucks for a sharpening. But i like sharp chains, they make a smaller cc saw cut like a bigger saw with a dull chain, and I can tune them the way I want.
  5. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I can buy a new chain for $10. I just throw them in the recycling bin. I was told by my supplier that Asplundh (big tree service) throws them away instead of sharpening. Time is money.
  6. HighlandLC

HighlandLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

Where? I usually run Oregon chain, none of that Carlton- Sabre stuff, and its almost impossible to buy a chin for under $20.

You do get what you pay for. I can run one chain for quite a while if you watch what you cut and dont start trying to dig trenches with it.
  7. DuallyVette

I buy Oregon chains wholesale
  8. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Where do you order them from?
  9. DuallyVette

I believe that they only sell to dealers. I'm grandfathered in. I just looked in my 2008 catalog. It has Carlton chain, bars, and accessories in it instead of Oregon. I'll call them tomorrow. When they they dropped their Gator mower blades from the catalogue, they still had them in stock..just a less certain supply.

I don't think I can post their name on this forum since their not sponsers. I'll check if they're wholesale only.
  10. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that true? I wasn't aware of that restriction. I hope not. Others have posted non-sponsor dealers, and I've taken advantage of it. In fact, getting good tips such as that is one of the main reasons I visit this forum.