Electric Clutch bit the dust today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CMLLawnServices, Jun 1, 2003.

1. i was catchin up from all the rain today and my mower started makin a sound like i had something under the deck and it was trying to mulch it , so i stopped, shut the mower down took a look under and there was nothing there , then i thought , Oh no it can`t be the clutch , so i started it back up and engaged the blades drove real slow for about 50 feet and then the mower stopped , i thought yep its the clutch , so i felt the casing and it was red hot . at this point i`m thinkin @#%^&()_@ anyway i finnished the jobs i had to do with the back up mower and took the clutch off when i got home and this is what it looked like.
    i`m gonna try to get one right away tomorrow because i`m already behind.

clutch1.jpg

2. second pic, the bearing is half gone!!!:angry: :angry:

clutch2.jpg

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

How many hours are on that clutch?

4. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Seen that before myself. When you put the new clutch on do your self a favor and use some anti seize on the shaft so it will come off easier next time.

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

About $200 USD, fast shipping, your dealer will be about $400USD.

Ken

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

How many hours?

What mower is it on?

Size deck/hp?

Doubles?

What is the model of clutch? Is it a 200 ?

Looks to me like the bearing went, not the clutch. Belt tension would play a part in bearing life.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I had to go out thursday and pickup a Ferris that died. The bearing went first and the heat buildup fried the rest of the clutch. It looked the same way.

8. I tried that on a clutch that went on a tapered shaft.
    It never did seat properly.
    It wore out the keyway in the shaft and ruined the end of the shaft.
    I must have used way too much.:(

CMLLawnServices;

Check the switch controlling the clutch. I've replaced several clutches due to a faulty switch. The switch would still come "on" but a poor contact would give low voltage. The low voltage would make the coil heat up and fry the clutch.
    I know yours has the bearing out of it. But bearings don't like heat either.

Dave

9. It was an "99 Ariens Ztr ( same as the gravely promasters) it has an 18 hp vangaurd with a 48" deck, i couldn`t tell u how many hours. Thanks every body for your suggestions and i will keep them in mind, i`m gonna try to get one RUSH today , from the dealer , it will come down to who can get it to me faster, the price won`t matter much at this point, i just want to get the machine back up and running

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Check that belt tension.

And thanks for answering some of my questions. I'm here to help you.

Is it a vertical or horizontal shaft engine?

What keeps tension on the PTO belt? Spring or manual tension rod?

The voltage issue is a good one. As volts drop, amps increase and can really be hard on a sensitive clutch like this.