Electric Clutch--Double Blades--Full Throttle Engagement?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, Oct 6, 2003.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have an electric clutch and are running doubles, wheres the best spot to set the throttle? Also, how tight should your belts be? seems like if i losten the idler springs a little, it is a LOT eaiser on the clutch and engine. Anybody else got some ideas?
  2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I've always been told about half throttle then slow or stop and then engage blades.Easier on clutch engine etc.I would check with dealer or manual for your spec. mower.
  3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Set the throttle as low as it will handle starting the blades - That is only common sense. I see people all the time rev the engine to full bore then start the blades - Why?
  4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Engage at the lowest possible RPM you can without stalling.

On some engines, esp. Kawasaki air cooled, you can put the choke on at slowest idle, then PTO on, then choke off.

On my Kawasaki 25 this lets me engage at absolute low idle without a stall.

5. The Lawn Boy Pro

ya, but doesnt the govenor kick in?
  6. The Lawn Boy Pro

Heres a rough pic of what the deck belt system is-

moert deck.jpg
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

My 26 EFI Kohler let's me do the same thing.

A frind of mine bought a new Exmark Lazer with 20 KAW. The dealer told him to always engage at full throttle. I have warned him against this, but he is going with the dealers advice. Smart of the dealers part......"Hey bring the mower in when you need a new clutch!"
  8. rlmelton

rlmelton LawnSite Member

just a hair above idle on my Dixie but I dont have an electric clutch to sweat. also I will engage on the concrete instead of the grass if I can.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

As Albemarle Lawn stated, if you have a seperate choke knob, apply 1/2 choke and 1/2 throttle and engage. The enrichened mixture that the choke gives you prevents possible stalling when cold.
  10. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

with my 27 hp crap kohler i need to put it all the way up.it stalls out once or twice on full to.my 23 hp kawi i keep it at half