1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Electric Clutch Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CT18fireman, Jun 27, 2002.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Help me out guys. I am working on a B&S 17hp twin on a hydro walkbehind. Clutch will not engage blades. Checked all connections Clutch is getting power and solid ground. Hooked a charger to clutch and it does engage. Checked engine voltage and found only 7-8 volts at idle and maybe 10 at open throttle. Testlight however gets a lot brighter then when normal 12 volts is flowing when checking positive at open throttle.

Tried replacing clutch with no change.

I am stumped. Head is not real clear right now due to flu. Could use some brain cells from others to help me out.
  2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

bad cell in battery.
  3. CT18fireman

No battery

16hp B&S twin pull start
  4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Bad switch?
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

That happened on my lazer recently. The switch had gone bad. 3 minutes and a few bucks fixed the problem.
  6. CT18fireman

Clutch gets good power and ground at clutch itself when switch is turned on. (see first post)

I think it is a voltage problem as 12 volts directly from a charger/starter will activate the clutch but the 10 volts max even directly from the motor won't. Should I not be seeing 12 volts from the motor?
  7. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like either a bad ground at the voltage regulator/stator or a bad voltage regulator. Since you are still getting DC voltage I assume the rectifier is still working. If you have no voltage regulator then you are probably looking at a new stator and diode.
  8. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Try cleaning some of ur contacts. Same thing happened to me. Pickup some diaelectric grease and put on contacts of your plugs.

If that doesn't work, don't know what to tell ya!
  9. CT18fireman

Bad stator. Problem solved. Just had to wake up and get over the flu.

Thanks for your help guys.