Electric clutch problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagman, Aug 28, 2002.

1. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Been running a swz 48" hydro all summer, for the last couple of weeks every single time I disengage the clutch it squeals horribly. I brought it in to the shop (where i bought it) and had them check it out. The mechanic told me it was because I had put high lift blades on it. Is this true? Being young (19) people tend to think they can dick me around! I laid down $5,300 cash last April for this mower and a bag. I have been treated very poorly by these guys on other occasions. If I would have done the right thing and bought the 48tthp for $800 more I wouldnt have this problem, because those guys are good honest people, but it would have taken around ten days and I still wasnt sure on the ECS. Anyways I need to get the clutched fixed, because its sort of embarrasing around customers. Any advice on what to say to these guys if it isnt the high lift blades.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Was the clutch adjusted correctly. You can do it yourself if you know the specs. Use a feeler gauge and adjust the 3 nuts that are on the clutch. There needs to be very little clearance between the plates. I have found that when they seperate too much, you get squealing.
    Check your owners manual.

The Hi lift blade thing sounds like Bull S%$#.

The blades have nothing to do with that. Ask him why he would think it is the high lifts. See what kind of an explanation he gives, then tell him your gonna contact your mower manufacturer and see if that explanation is correct.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i agree the high lift stuff, is just an excuse . must be still under warranty.
    now u know , follow your good sense and dont let them ,get away with brushing u aside. its a shame u have to show an ugly side sometimes. so they are willing to take u serious.
    pinkston[my dealer] recommends highlifts as his choice of blades.

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

yep, do the feeler guage thing or tell them to do it, it sounds like the problem. they have to be adjusted to 10 mm's at least thats what my tank spec's are. I think its mm's or could iit be cm's someones got to know, help me out. lol