Electric clutch question for RR

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dutch1, Mar 12, 2006.

1. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Restro, I am working on a Cub Cadet 1440 with a Warner clutch. Initially the regulator/rectifier showed no output even though the charging ring was giving proper output. Replaced reg/rect and clutch worked as it should except that the ammeter light came on. Clutch shows a draw of 17.8 amps which seems excessive and is likely the reason the ammeter light coming on since the draw exceeds the output of the regulator. The clutch shows a resistance through the coil of 1.2-1.3 ohms. According to Warner the resistance should be 2.48 ohms. MTD says the draw on the clutch should be around 4.84 Amps. What is your experience with this situation. I have convinced myself that the clutch is bad but with the part being proprietary to Cub Cadet dealers($300) I wanted to encourage your input before I give the customer the bad news.

I might add that while checking the draw on the clutch the input side of the clutch(14.7 A) the output side showed 6.7 A and this I cannot explain.

Dutch

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Is that draw with the electric PTO under a load or no load? Initially it sure sounds like a bad unit drawing 18Amps. My electric PTO running no load is about 2-3 Amps.

3. dutch1

from Jayhawk

Splicer,

That load is with the clutch operating at max rpm.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This is the clutch I found for a 1440 Cub. Have you tried to adjust the air gap ? Along side of each nut is a slot to insert a 0.12" feeler gauge, Adjust each nut a 1/4 turn at a time working in a circle until 0.12" is reached at all three slots then see if the light still comes on.

5. Restrorob

Sorry, Here it is..... The wider the air gap the more amps the clutch will pull.

Cub PTO Clutch.jpg

6. dutch1

from Jayhawk

Yes, I did check and adjust the air gap before doing all the testing that I did.

7. Restrorob

OK, The numbers you posted doesn't look good, But did you load test the battery to make sure it's good ? Did you check the charging system out-put at the battery at wide open throttle without the pto on then with the pto on and com-pair readings ? Where I'm going is if the battery is not holding the required amperage the clutch could pull more amperage from the system than what the charging system can keep in a weak battery which would cause the light to come on. Or there could be a problem with the light, Would you have thought you had a clutch problem if the unit didn't have a light ?
    Just trying to cover all bases before you tell your customer they have to cough up 300 bux for a clutch.
    If the above is OK then replace the clutch.

8. dutch1

from Jayhawk

Yes, Restro, the first three area I checked were battery, charging coil output and regulator/rectifier output. Battery would not hold a charge and when load tested checked out bad. Replaced battery and reg/rect and thought I had all my bases covered. Then when I was making sure that I was ready to send out the unit, the problem with the ammeter light occurred. That is when I proceeded with the clutch resistance and amperage draw test.

Since I'm just an old fart working out of my building at home, and since I was going to gone all of last week, I sent the clutch with the customer to a CC dealer to have it evaluated off of the machine. I should hear from him tomorrow and maybe he will have a definitive answer.

I am a retired mathematics teacher/coach who spent 7 years in a shop in the Indy area and my main job emphasis was the push mowers and 2 cycle equipment. As a result I don't have the greatest experience in the rider area, although I wouldn't classify myself as a dummy.

Thanks for you help and suggestions.

Restro, your highlight at the bottom of your page was one of my most used comments when I was a mathematics teacher.

Dutch

9. Restrorob

Yeah, I've got it posted on a sign in our service department, ALL new employees are shown that sign. I tell them there are no dumb questions if you don't know the answer but plenty stupid mistakes can be made.

Also, You done a jam up job at testing that thing out for being a push mower and 2 stroke joke......

10. dutch1

from Jayhawk

My phraseologhy was a little different, with the same result.

"There aren"t any dumb questions, only stupid mistakes."