electric clutch question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Echelon, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Echelon

Echelon LawnSite Member
    from ohio

recently got my first machine with an electric clutch. occasionally when i pull the knob it will just hiss and not engage. usually try it once or twice more and it will work. any ideas for this? i read on here you can adjust them somehow, how do i do this? also, any maintenance that can be done to make them last longer?
    thanks in advance,
    -mike

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Here you go Mike, Just check the adjustment every so often is all thats required.

There is three slots in part # 5, Insert a 0.012 a feeler gage and adjust the three nuts until you feel a little drag on the gage at each slot. But only move each nut a little at a time because one will throw the other out, Go around the clutch a couple times to assure a equal setting.

[​IMG]

3. Echelon

Echelon LawnSite Member
    from ohio

thank you restro, that illustration is great. is that hissing and not engaging consistant with it being out of adjustment?

thanks again for the quick reply, itll be winter bedtime soon so now ill know what to do.
    -mike

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, Not sure about any hissing but having to work the switch a few times sounds consistent with needing adjusting. Shouldn't take 15 mins. to adjust and see if that solves your problem.