electric clutch question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Echelon, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Echelon

Echelon LawnSite Member
    from ohio

it appears i cant download an owners manual from bobcats website for my mower unless im a dealer. just wanted to know at what rpm its recommended to engage an electric clutch? ive been engaging and disengaging mine now at full throttle, is this wrong? thanks in advance anyone.

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

When I worked for somebody else I ran a lazer for them and most of the time it was full throttle on and off. Reading in here I've heard that is a no no. So now that I run my own lazer I turn in on at half throttle and try to thorttle down some or at the same time as I turn blades off. In here they say engage blades at a low enought rpm that it will not bog down the engine

3. olyman

olyman LawnSite Gold Member

disengage at any speed--try and engage at slower speed--where engine wont kill--its two pieces of steel spinning against one another till they totally lock up--which wears the surfaces---

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Scag recommends half throttle and deck up and the main reason is to reduce the stress on the belts.

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Bobcat also recommends half throttle. They recommend running the engine for a while...I forget how long to make sure that the engine oil heats up and that all the bearings in the engine are getting properly oiled.

Most of my customers start them on the trailer, go wide open immediately and as soon as its off the trailer the clutch is engaged....seems to hold up fine. Not what I would do but whatever...