Electric Clutch troubleshooting help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brucec32, May 3, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have picked up a used '98 Toro but can't get the blades to engage. I've tried the following.

1. bypassed the operator control bar switch with a jumper, no luck.

2. bypassed (?) the PTO pull switch by disconnecting the contacts and touching them together.

3. Used a seperate power source hooked to the clutch's terminal and it fired right up. So apparently the clutch itself is not the problem.

4. Checked the 20amp plug-in type fuse someone had rigged by the switch. Perhaps this is not the first time it's had problems!

Does anyone have any tips on what else I need to do to get it working? I really want to avoid trucking over to the dealer if it's something simple. But wiring stuff gives me a headache.

2. mower17

mower17 LawnSite Member
    from la

First, check all connections. If there is rust or corrosion on a wire connection or where a ground connects, it would cause this.

3. mikemerritt

mikemerritt LawnSite Member
    from MS

What every trouble shooter needs in their box is a cheap 12 volt test light. Turn the ignition to run/on and check the terminals at the clutch switch, one should light the test light. Follow that wire to the clutch plug to see if power is getting to the clutch. The clutch could get its power off of a lead from the ignition or directly from the harness somewhere. Sorry I can't be real specific here but I havn't worked on this mower.....Mike

4. Conoverbandit

Conoverbandit LawnSite Member

Mine done that,
    Check all the switches with a test light,power(depending on the set-up ie.electric start or other.) if it's electric start you should be able to turn on the switch and check the wires for power and hear the clutch "click" on and off. Another thing to try is if you look under the key switch area there is a panel(4 screws and it comes off and the wires will hang down) mine has 2 relays onit 1 controls the blades, the other the engine.Also there is a small "box" about 1/2 inch by 1 inch (give or take) that has 5 wires comming out of it that goes into the harness it's self,try replacing that.That was the problem on my friends 52 w/b Toro. Also if it's recoil start, you have to do the same thing, but with the engine running as the stata creates the power to operate the blades. Hope this helps .

Conoverbandit:D

5. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

One more thing you need to check: check the air gap on the clutch. There should be 3 slots on the side of the clutch. using a feeler gauge(.008-.012) slide it into the slot and tighten up the nuts on the bottom side of the clutch until it feels snug on the feeler gauge but you can still slide it easily. do this to all 3 slots and recheck them all after you finish. adjust as necessary. when the clutch gets worn, it won't engage as easily if at all. Resetting the air gap corrects this problem. (and it's cheaper than replacing a perfectly good clutch.)

6. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

You have identified the problem as being the electrical supply. Now it is just a matter of working back through the wiring harness until the problem is found.