electric clutch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The mayor, Apr 27, 2007.

1. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Ok now don't bash me on this. I have 2 mowers that have electric clutches for the blade engagement. Never had one quit on me. Are there any warning signs on them when they die...or do they just quit all together. I have one mower with 1600 hours. Just wondering about the clutch today when I was out mowing.

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

some have adjustments check manual use feeler guage and your good to go

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

They will take longer to engage or"slip" when turned on. the clutch life depends on "how many times you turn it on" and "how you turn it on". Make sure you have about 200 bucks just in-case. You should also make sure your dealer has one or get one just in-case.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

What brand mower?

5. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks much for all the advice. The mower is a 62" toro z. It has a kawasaki 25 air cooled engine.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Hey there Mayor, I have a 62 Toro Z also with the Kohler 26EFI. I love it. Haven't had to mess with the clutch yet but they are commercially available. I think J-Thomas has them cheap and I am sure that Reinders can get you one also. Good Luck down there this season!

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This happens but not always, I had a 27 hp Kohler on a Super Z and drove it 700' down my driveway to get the newspaper. I never even engaged the clutch and about 10' before I pulled in my garage it locked down and killed the motor completely stone cold dead with blue smoke pouring out. The first thing that went through my mind was the motor blew up but the clutch seized. There is one thing I like about the 28 efi on the one I have now, it will engage the blades at the lowest throttle setting it has without even changing sounds. I have not owned a mower that would do this previously.

8. John Gamba

from ct

It sounds defective? my blades engaged at idle with my fi's:cool2: sweet engines.

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder if only the FI's are able to engage at the lowest throttle setting, is anyone aware of a carburetor engine that will do this, none I have ever owned would.

10. John Gamba

from ct

Some of them needed to have the chock on about a quarter of the way so they wouldn't stall when the blades where turned on:cry: junk.