electric clutch

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brix, Apr 11, 2010.

1. brix

brix LawnSite Member

I've got an older scag 52" ztr. I've been having problems with the electric clutch engaging the blades. I've gapped them at .015" (air gap). Seems like they engage but if I disengage after I've been mowing awhile they won't engage. It seems like they try but won't until it cools off for a bit. I don't have a manual that says air gap, so I'm going by what I read on here. Should I close the gap a bit? Suggestions?

thanks, Brix

2. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

MOST seem to be .012-.015". But I have seen some spec at like .020 and some at .008. If you post your model and serial, Restro or Dutch or someone could probably tell you your correct gap. It would seem? to me that opening up the gap would keep it cooler? But just a wild guess.

3. brix

brix LawnSite Member

Model # is 552-22cv serial # 21560110 as best as I can make it out.

Thanks, Brix

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

For years I've set all clutches at .012" without any issues, You can give that a try but you really need to test amp draw on the clutch when engaged with a multimeter. It should be in the 6 to 8 amp range, Much higher than 8 is a sign the clutch may be on the way out.

5. brix

brix LawnSite Member

Was having trouble with the airgap, finally took the clutch off and disassembled. The field magnet was gone, totally! Suprised it ever engaged. New clutch on the way for $167.00, I didn't think that was too bad a price. By the way I'm just a homeowner with 6 acres. Thanks, you guys have been alot of help.

Brix

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Glad you found the problem Brix, Homeowner or commercial who ever ask for help around here normally gets it !

7. brix

brix LawnSite Member

Ordered the clutch online thursday and arrived today (Saturday). Everything fit and was packed well. I got it from lawnmowerstuff.com which is the same as Petes small engine. No ties to this company at all, just suprised at the service.
    Brix

8. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad you found the issue, do you have any tips for adjusting the air gap on the clutch? I have a similar mower and had a very hard time getting the under the mower and putting the feeler gauge in while turning the bolt.

Did you jack up the mower or put it on a ramp?

Thanks for the help, God Bless!

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I learned something new this year. I had a clutch go out....well it was go sometimes and not others. It first took out the PTO switch which I replaced and in a couple weeks another PTO went out. I finally realized it was a clutch so I got a new clutch and a new PTO switch and put in line fuse for my Scag. So apparently a bad clutch can pull enough current to take out the switch before it completely burns up.

10. brix

brix LawnSite Member

cleancut, I just pulled the clutch off, I think that's just as easy and you can definately see things better.

Brix