1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Electric cut-off saws?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Moneypit, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Moneypit

Moneypit LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever used an electric cut-off saw? I was thinking of getting one like this one:

I have a 2 stroke now, but could use a second saw. I thought I would try an electric one so next time I'm cutting in a basement entrance or window, I wont be setting off all the carbon monoxide detectors. Also seems like they may be more reliable. Any thoughts?
  2. Moneypit

Moneypit LawnSite Member

This is an old thread I started. I never got the saw but now I am back in the market for one. Dose anyone have any experiance with these?
  3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Our mason uses something similar. No yanking on a starter rope. He just cuts and goes. Heck he can have 2 cuts done before a gas saw is started and 1 cut is made.
  4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Buy one and let me know, vie desperately wanted something like that and you found it for me! Let me know if it works.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

Several years ago I rented a 14" wet saw for a paver job. It broke and the only replacement option they had was an electric cut off. Not ideal for that situation, but the saw worked just fine.
  6. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Not a pro here (so take my free advice for what it's worth), but I got my 14" AEG electric saw on craigslist, and with a diamond turbo blade, it cut very nicely through 2" granite (first thing I tried it on).

I did find at times that I might have wanted a little more power though, and at 18A & 120V, mathematically, the most power you can get out of an electric saw is a little over 2HP (certainly under 3).
    14" gas saws tend to run between 4 and 5HP.

OTOH, if you're just cutting something like concrete block (and not cutting granite, or cutting to max depth in old reinforced poured concrete), and using a segmented blade (and not a turbo like I was using to avoid chipout), then you might not even notice the difference in power. You just need a lighter touch, or else you'll start tripping breakers.
  7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

They are heavy and will let you know a few minutes after cutting. At least the 2 I have used were damn heavy.
  8. PowerPlay

PowerPlay LawnSite Member

Hilti has a nice one.
  9. Moneypit

Moneypit LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I am going to move forward and make the purchase. I will let you know how it works out after using it for some time.
  10. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't get too excited with your cutting speed/pressure or you'll pop breakers. I rented one a few months ago as a backup and one of the guys leaned into a cut and slowed the blade enough to make the breaker pop. Great units though. Maybe not the best for in-place long cuts but for a trim here and there to finish, the lack of start/stop of a gas saw is awesome.