Electric Handheld Cutoff Saws

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by EgansCountryGardens, Apr 4, 2011.

1. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

Has anybody used these for cutting pavers? Husqvarna makes one, Makita makes one, and Dewalt makes one. It seems like it would work out pretty good. They take 14" diamond blades, are less expensive than gas, and you don't have to worry about it starting.

I just wanted to see everybody's take on it, because I am seriously considering trying one out. I've had my bout with the gas saws, and have had it.

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

rent one see what you think
    I tried one I own gas now

3. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah gas can be a pain and so can electric. If you throw a breaker and the client isn't home your done unless you have a generator. Electric saws that I have used are pretty dang heavy and they will tire you out quick. As stated above rent one and see for yourself before you buy.

4. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

I have a 14" Partner/Husqy and wouldn't go without it. The new ones have the soft start feature, which will eliminate most of the breaker issues. A little experience running the saw so you don't bog it down will take care of the rest of the issues on a good 15 amp circuit.

They don't saw quite as fast as a gas saw, but they're more nimble, faster to start/stop, and require little to no maintenance. They're cheaper to purchase as well.

5. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point as well!

6. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

That, and a good 12 gauge extension cord is a must.
    Bosch also makes a 12" and 14". I see a 12" on Hilti's website. Mine is an AEG.

7. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

I never knew there was an electric cutoff saw until this thread. Also consider that people don't always have the proper circuit, and if its underpowered (15amp) or overloaded with other things in the house it could be just a headache. Also if you do a project not near power, or on a new home that isn't far enough along for power, you will need a generator.

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

A guy that does masonry work for us uses an electric cut off saw.

It's very very handy.

We even had our saws onsite, he used our saws for about 10 minutes and he went back to using his electric!

But the time you start a gas saw, even with one or two pulls - you can have a cut complete with an electric.

Those of you downing the electric saws, you otta try one out. We do not have one, but I certainly would like to get one someday.

9. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind, some electric cut off saws are up cut, vs the traditional down cut.

I think a bosch that i rented for an indoor job was this way.

10. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

It shouldn't be, but on some, you can reverse the guard and handle.