Electric Hose Reels for Hydroseeding??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Venturewest, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you use electric hose reels on you hydroseeding machines? I have seen Turboturfs remote control hose and that looks pretty handy, but on the steep side, $$. If you dont use electric reels do you use reels at all?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I just bought a one year old Turboturf 500 and I plan on gearing up this spring. I am in Oklahoma and there are only a few people here who hydroseed.

2. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

HI,

I saw the electric rewind reel and would love to have that but I currently use a manual reel.....Only thing that may concern me with the electric rewind (besides the price) would be if you could manually rewind if you had a motor or electrical problem. I run about 300 feet of hose and yes it is hard on the hands to rewind manually (a trick tough is to gather the hose up and put it close to the truck in line with the reel so your winding doesn't have to drag alot of hose across the ground or at an angle).
    Andrew

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i do not have or have ever used a real but i have been told that it can cause some clogs and u shood roll out all the hose to help with the clogs this is just what i have heard

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

we have a hydraulic hose reel on our hydroseeder, the thing will just about pull you back to the truck. i couldn't imagine working without it..

5. Venturewest

Did it come with the machine, or did you buy it somewhere else?

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

it came with our finn, maybe call them and see who they use. im not sure if there is a name on it. i'll check it out..

7. Venturewest

Thanks, I will check that out.

8. Andyinchville

YOu can run the hose reel with the hose all rolled up on it but it does supposedly reduce the flow and pressure a bit....I haven't noticed it being too bad....I usually only roll out the amout I need because a manual rewind takes a fair amount of effort especially since the hose is usually a little stiff and full of water / slurry......I have thought of the electric rewind reel but I don't really have the volume of hydroseeding to justify it....I suppose I could advertise it more than I do but I am always so busy anyway. Oh BTW running POly Tac (tacifier) helps to
    prevent clogs by making everything very slippery....I've only had 1 hose clog to date (came from not cleaning / back flushing thoroughly after one use and then having the machine sit for awhile)....an onsite backflush and some hose shaking was all it took to get free up.
    Andrew

9. Deer Dynamics

Deer Dynamics LawnSite Member

im looking to put a reeal or reels on my trailer also...right now because of the cost of full blown reels with electric im looking into a single 100' colapsable hose capacity manual and maybe ever two 50' colapsable capacity manual reels - - i like the idea of colapsable hose for storage and i want the option of 50 or 100 or a total of 200 feet as needed...my concern with the bigger reels and riged hose is if i have 200' of line then wether im standing on the trailer shooting a ditch or 100 foot across the lawn im still pushing 200 feet to the nozzle..........thoughts??

10. Andyinchville

STOP....Do NOT us the collapsible hose....It will not work well for hydroseeding...You must FULLY extend the collapsible hose before it will spray...this will have to be done each and every time you want to spray....even if the area to be sprayed is only 2 or 3 feet from the truck....PLUS collapsible hose is easy to kink....Kinks make for no flow situations and possible clog formation....
    Hope I caught you in time
    Andrew