electric impact for blade removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by timmac, Jun 15, 2006.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

i need a cheap but good electric impact wrench for blade removal. any recommendations?

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

"cheap" and "good" are contradictory statements when it comes to any kind of electric or pneumatic power tool.

Spend the $ and get a good one, IR, Snap-On, etc.

3. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

KOBALT makes one I think. Should be a little over a 100$ HomeDepot or Lowes.

Just be prepared- all electric impact wrenches that I have seen are 2-3 longer than air tools- thus if you are doing it to change the blades on your mower- you will need something to raise the deck EXTRA high.
    A jungle jack could not lift my 757 JD high enough to use my electric impact wrench.

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Cheap? Harbor Freight has them for $40. It does the job, but IMO Harbor Freight is just disposable tools, plan on once a year getting a new one, or just do it right the first time and get a good one for $150.

5. mowtime

mowtime LawnSite Member

Bought a dewalt 14.4 and it works awsome, Takes them off in about 3 minutes. Drive the mower on one side of the trailer gate and remove two, then the other side to remove the other blade. Also strong enough to take lug nuts off also

6. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

i concur with mow time dont waste any money, do it right the first time...buy a good name cordless impact....ITS CORDLESS! you can use it at the shop,any place in the shop,in the field and you can use it believe it or not as a regular drill(im in the skilled trades..i know this) i have the complete ridgid set, i think for price/performance/WARRANTY,it works for me(im an electrician, we use all of the tools) im not saying its the best but all around its not bad. IM parttime(lco) and change blades almost everyday...working on wiring apartments and were done for the day, change clothes,change blade and im off to mow for 4 or 5 hours. that impact was a surprise, cause i went out and bought a brand new twin stack compressor and all the tools and i have used them..maybe 2 times. get yourself an impact-corless(decent brand) and you will be thanking Mr. Mow for this advice. not to be cocky they work great...........................................................no extension cord either!

7. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

in 3 minutes???????????????? for all 3 or 2 blades. mines 18v never timed it but i would say it takes probably the same time as a homeowner compressor and air tool with a whole lot more versatility.

8. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

I've used or been around when it was used a cordless 18V Dewalt cordless impact. At 300 Ft. lbs. of torque I have taken lug nuts off a truck, spun them of on tractor duals (loosened with a 3/4 breaker bar and 10" cheater bar then spun off with the impact) and we used it to change all the spades on a 32' field cultivator.

All this while a 1/2" drive Snap On impact is in the shop hooked to a giant air compressor.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what kind of mower you have but on Wright, Snapper, Scag and Walker you can EASILY remove blade bolts with a simple socket wrench with a 14" handle. On the ones with nut on top you need two wrenches. On stander you block the blade with vise grips. This allows changing blades in the field when the machines are already off the trailer. Just run one wheel up on the edge of the trailer ramp. I am sure air wrench is nice but surely not necessary.

10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Dewalt, sold at Home Depot for like $160-170, it works great for me.
    2 blades on one side and 1 blade on the other side of your trailer ramp.