1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Electric Impact Wrench??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SouthernYankee, Feb 28, 2006.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I have some blades on one of my mowers that were put on way too tight( not my doing). Anyways I tried the breaker bar route and that wasnt a go, so I was wondering about one of those electric impact wrenches. Do they have enough juice? I am just looking for something that will take off my blades and my trailer tires.

here are the specs, its a 1/2" 235ft lbs 2700bpm, 2100 no load rpm

120v 7.5 amp motor
  2. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

I have one and use it all the time, It is great. I think its a Crapsman. Quicker that using the air gun, don't have to wait for the tank to fill, and listen to the compressor.
  3. My buddy uses one at work on remote job sites, he says it works suprisingly well. I would say get a Dewalt or Milwaulkee.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think it will be good after you get the blades off, Im not sure its gonna be strong enought to do the job ( for the stuck bolts)

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Breaker bar and 3 ft. long pipe and use a 1 ft. 2x4 block to pin the blade.
    Doubtful a electric impact will take them loose.
  6. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

i have the dewalt eletric impact wrench works excellent. def works better then any breaker bar and pipe never had a bolt it couldnt loossen.
  7. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I agree I think this is one of the best ways to do it. At least this is what we have done every time we have this problem.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

IMO if you are going to invest in an electric impact wrench, get a cordless model. This will give you the ability to quickly change blades on the job and you wont need to mess with extension cords at the house. Saw a nice one today at home depot, makita...sticker shock value registered at 319.00
  9. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

TSC (Tractor Supply Company) had them on sale (cordless Goodyear) for about $89. Two hour battery recharge.
  10. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I got mine at Harbor Freight and it was pretty cheap. It works perfectly fine, never had a nut it couldn't get off.