1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Electric Impact Wrench

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Pastaboy62, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

I did a search recently on changing lawnmower blades. The general consensus says that an electric impact wrench makes the job pretty easy. I was just wondering what the steps are using one of these. Do you just put the ratchet on the top and it just falls down. Thanks for the help.
  2. Let-it-mow!

Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member

Snap the proper socket on the end of the impact wrench.

Put the socket on the bolt holding the blade on.

Squeeze the trigger.

The blade won't spin since the bolt is turned with rapid, powerful impacts instead of a steady continuous force applied with a regular wrench. The bolt will turn out almost instantly with no muscles needed.

Installation is oposite of removal, just remember to flip the wrench to "on" instead of "off".

Easy to do. No learning curve. Your first attempt will be easy.
  3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

personally, i NEVER install them with an impact unless it had a torque limiter. too easy to overtighten the bolts/nuts and makes field replacement a real bit**. best to tighten them with a 1/2 ratchet, imo.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with this.
    Also I would think about getting an air compressor and air tools. I think they will be a better investment as you can add many tools and still use the same power source. Just a lot more uses.

But don't listen to me as I am just a tool junkie!!:laugh:
  5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

the cordless snap-on 1/2" impact is nice!!
  6. jeromet

jeromet LawnSite Member

i bought a 1/2 electric impact from walmart to 69.00 and it will take the blades off a my bushhog with no problem, but only has 200 ft lbs of torque. works great and CHEAP
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Exactly-- impact will over tighten and strip out the fine thread spindles. Just use an air ratchet to reinstall