electric or hydraulic deck lifts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mouse, Oct 27, 2007.

1. mouse

mouse LawnSite Member

I would like any info on either electric over hydraulic deck lift manufactures you might be able to provide me. I am planning on buying a exmark xs with the 66 inch trition deck, but I want to add an after market electric deck lift.
  2. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you feel you need this?? Just one more thing to fail in my opinion. Foot pedal and manual hand adjustment works fine. With the foot pedal you can raise the deck on the fly to keep from scalloping.
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I agree unless it's an out front deck like a Grasshopper. Then I feel like it would be worth it. But there are people that like that option in a midmount, I over heard some guys at Expo last year complain about always having to raise and lower the deck with their foot. Maybe there are circumstances where it would make sense.
  4. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

Heck I got some places where my foot has to rest on the deck lift to avoid possibly hitting something. It's a natural reflex to lift it when I have to. Can't imagine being as effecient with anything else. But different strokes....
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I dont have one but there wonderfull.

makes changing blades a snap....

they were designed with space in mind....

when you load about 3 to 4 of them on your trailer you can lift the deck and make tons of space.....

no problem with cleaning just loft the deck and go for it.

I plan on getting 3 exmarks this next year, and you bet they will have the electric deck on them
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If you have three arms its great. Outfront decks its sweet.
  7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Both my current, 60 inch Gravely and my previous 50 inch are hydraulic lifts, and to be quite honest, I doubt it would be possible to sell me one without it, and yes, I've put several hours on machines with both foot and hand actuated deck lifts.

This isn't the first thead I've seen on this subject, and it seems there are always a bunch of "tough" guys replying who scoff at anyone who suggests any type of power deck lift. Well, when I was mowing as a kid, all we had was a push-type reel mower. Trimming was done with a weed hook, or if you really were particular, you had a pair of hand grass shears. My Dad finally broke down when I was about 12 and bought a new 18 inch Lawnboy with a 3hp 2-cycle engine. Man, I thought I was in heaven!

To me, the same principal applies here. I don't see any of you "tough guy" types advocating a return to push mowers and grass shears, and I'll wager there isn't one among you who doesn't have power steering and power brakes on their truck. Most probably have automatic transmissions. To me a power deck lift is simply another work saving device.

I've only used one mower with an electric lift, a Bad Boy, owned by a friend. I didn't care for it simply because it didn't have a system whereby the deck would return to the same height after moving it. You have to stop the mower, and actually look at the indicator to see the deck height. On my Gravely, the deck drops against removable stops so it will return to the same height each time. I'm sure some of the electric have similar systems.

My advice is if you want one, get one, and don't worry about all the naysayers. I'll wager if you use one a week, you'll never do without a power lift again.
  8. John Gamba

from ct

How do you do a 360 and lift the deck??? I would love a hydro deck lift if they had a foot button. Thats why gravely came out with the foot lift. Back in the day on the 200's it was an electric hydro lift "junk"
  9. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I've never heard of add on electric or hydraulic deck lifts. Can you give me a web site or manufacturer name.
    Thanks, Ed
  10. John Gamba

from ct

There is one they made for a lazer. i forgot and its been awhile since i seen it. Ask exmark.