electric PTO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Jul 18, 2004.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I am just curious, do the eletric PTO's on mowers ever go bad???

2. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

Ya man they do i have had to replace mine... had one melt on me to .. so the answer to your question with out a doubt is "yes"

3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Had one smoke on me almost like it was on fire.

Now I carry a fire Ex.

4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

After how many hours, do they begin to have problems???

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I "engauge" and "dis-engauge" the PTO at low engine speeds. This will increase the clutch life. The clutch isn't tring as hard to start or stop the blades. The clutches for my Grasshoppers cost around $200. You'll know when there is a problem when the blades don't turn on. Or when you have to let the clutch cool down to be engauged.

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, they go bad and very often. We have had to replace ours on our Toro Walkbehinds about every 500 hours. We run Dixie Choppers that use the clutchless engagement, belts are much cheaper and you can keep both hands on the controls to turn the blades off.

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Like Lbilawncare the Ogura clutches on my Toro Walks Burned Out often...The Manual clutch's on the eXmark Tracer Hp's Just Keep on Ticking...

8. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

My PTO switch went out on my Exmark Lazer a couple a weeks ago. Thought it might be my clutch until I put a meter on it. The new switch was only $20. BTW, the switch has 3 spade terminals on top and 2 on the bottom. Only the 3 on top are hooked up. Since the mower wouldn't even start, I took the switch and turned it 180 deg. so the 2 spade term. on the bottom would go in the 2 outer term. on top. It would start and run. And you could even engage the blade while the brake was on. But as soon as the brake was disengaged, the mower died.