1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Electric Sanders

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by gene gls, Feb 17, 2001.

1. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Is any one having problems with electric motors failing??

2. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I think Dino would be the man to talk to.He likes his electric sanders.PLOWKING35 in case you don't know him.
    Good Luck
  3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Gene do you have a v box, or tailgate unit. My smith is now 3 season old, and not one problem. If you have a downeasterner, I have heard they have problems with their motor.
    FWIW, to replace the motor is only 250.00
  4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Westrn Pro Flo 2. It will spread sand, although I haven't tried yet. But... I have run several tons of salt through it, and no problems so far.

5. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

I bought a used buyers sander and I know its at least 4 yrs old. I have had no problems with it. I knew the guy took good care of it. Washed it down after every use, oiled it up so it wouldn't rust... that kind of stuff. The olny problem I have with it is if I get a big enough chunk of salt in the auger, it sometimes jams. No biggy. just shut it off and spin the suger by hand and away we go.
  6. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I've had 2 elctric sanders and they both worked great. One's a Black and Decker and the others a Milwaukee :). Actually I have a Western 1000 salt spreader and tried some ag lime and sand / salt mix. If its dry it works kind of, but any moisture and you've got a mess. Somretimes you just have to try what an engineer tells you not to.
  7. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a fisher speed caster II no problem with the motor just with damp sand/salt not comming out if i load to much in the hopper.
  8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Thank's guys. I heard talk of motor problems with Smith. I am still waiting for my truck body. The company is running two weeks behind. Its late in the season to be buying a spreader anyway. They have one left,1.5 yrd,and only droped the price $150.00.Maybe thier pencle will have a sharper point when my truck is in there for the body.

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Spoke with few other smith owners today, and not one of them having a problem with electric motors.Smith would replace the motor if something happened in the first two seasons.