1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

electric sanders

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by boba, Jan 15, 2001.

1. boba

boba LawnSite Member

I am looking to replace a v box sander and had made up my mind to purchase an electric unit. However, a dealer informed me electric units operate at 3-5 miles per hour while gas units operate at speeds up to 20-25 miles per hour.

Is this correct? I need the unit for private road work and 3-5 miles per hour would be impractical.
  2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

High speed sanding. I do a large volume of Private roads.

I will say that with the feed gate wide open and the engine running on a fast speed, you can sand pretty fast. Only my hydro tailgate sander can sand faster than my v-box. I am not sure how electric sander's opperate seeing I don't have one.

3. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

I have had both gas and electric. Gas is faster. It depends on how fast or how much sand you want to put down. I like my electric better for my use BUT,I do very few roads. My guess is you would be happier with gas ... but maybe uncomfortable he he . Does any one in you're area have an electric you could play with to see how it would work for you? brad
  4. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an electric one but it's a talgate spreader and it does not work as fast as a gas one but for what i use it for it's good.
  5. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen a Smith electric v box spreading faster than 5 mph; probablly about 10-15 mph.
  6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not sure how well the electric's work, and in fact can't say I have never seen one, so I would have to assume they are probably not all that efficient.

As for gas sanders, I guess they are more of a standard, but still a pain and seem to be a never ending maintenance problem. We have two gas V-boxes, and it seems we have to keep are fingers crossed each time we go to start up that aux. motor. Nothing but problems.

Why on earth they would put a Briggs on something you have to depend on beats me. We just had to replace the stator and flywheel on a 8.5 HP briggs on our 2 YEAR old spreader that probably has maybe 2 hrs of run time on it. To top it off, the 8.5 is a special motor built just for spreaders, so parts are hard to come buy. You can't just open up Northern Tool and order a new one. They are special order only.

With this past experience, we are are going to go all hydraulic from now on. The whole aux motor thing seems somewhat foolish anymore, but, I guess if you are on a budget (which believe me, we are not), then I would probably stick with a gas model over an electric.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I am looking into an electric spreader for my new truck. Check out this one http://www.sandspreader.com

boba: What town are you in??

[Edited by gene gls on 01-15-2001 at 10:38 PM]
  8. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Wow! Check out that V-box they have mounted on a Gator. :cool: It is 2/3 yd. capacity and really short. It looks pretty wild. I didn't think that a Gator could handle that much weight.

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

actually the electric is more efficient than a gas powered spreader. It uses the material much more efficiently. The spread mattern is much beeter, ans better dispersal of material. Overall they are much better than gas in all respects.
    For your situation Bob, I beleive you have roads, but they dead end, so just sand in both directions at 10-15 mph, and that should sovle your dilema.
    Get the electric, or spring for the extra doe, and get honda power.
  10. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

Gene gls, this sander is the one I have right now, I wouldn't recomend that company from my experience. brad