Electric start the BEST 'option' for walk-behinds!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Oct 21, 2007.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know why every manufacturer does not offer electric start as an option on every hydro walk behind from 36" up. I've had it on all my hydro walks. I've often passed on certain mowers because there was no electric start on it (Exmark 36 Turf Tracer, Scag 36 and 48s).

Electric starts start IMMEDIATELY, I never have a problem with 'em, and it's really the ONLY way that makes sense to get the mower off the trailer. And I don't have to pull start a mower on a 95 degree day. And it usually just adds about 200 bucks to the cost of the machine. Money I've earned back in time pull-starting alone in probably 2 weeks! Why oh why doesn't everybody offer it?

Manufacturers, are you listening?

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

That is one reason I didn't get the Exmark and got a Toro instead. I didn't want to pull a 17 hp when it was 100 degrees like yourself! I think electric start should be on anything larger then 6 hp just for convenience.

3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

If we were ever to use walk behinds again, electric start would be a necessity. It is much more efficient for unloading---especially in an enclosed trailer.

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I want both. If the electric fails can still pull start to finish the day. wouldn't mind paying for it either

5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, that would be the best way to go. The 4 E.S. machines I've had have all been JUST E.S. though.

6. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Ha!

We demoed a 48" Hustler Trimstar--no E.S. offered--last season. After a few hours of using the machine, the employees were unanimous that E.S. was a need, not a want.

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Always it is not a option,,that is why we don't run a scag 36 walk behind piss on pulling it.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

If pulling a starter is a big problem, you have a thoroughly streamlined operation going there!

9. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

There's a handful of folks who don't want an electrical system to maintain. But the large majority of our Quick mowers are offered with electric start as standard equipment.

IMHO, life's too short to spend much of it pulling a starter rope...

gp

10. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

+1

When one max of two pulls is all that is needed to get started, what is the big deal? I could have put money into ES but than needed to keep up with a battery, starter, solenoid and what not is not important for a total of 1 or 2 pulls. JMO