Electric start wb battery issues

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by grassmasterswilson, Mar 30, 2014.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

One of my guys left the ignition switch in the on position and it drained the battery. It's a exmark turf tracer electric start.

We have jumped it the last few days and left it running for 20 minutes or so. My shop is very small and we need to move things around. We still need to jump it daily.

I've had to jump a ztr before and after mowing a while it was fine. Will this work with a wb or not? Should I just put it on the charger?

2. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

i would probably just stick a new battery in there and be done with it personally, but to answer your question, yes it should work

3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like it won't hold a charge anymore. How old is the battery? If more than a couple years it's probably time to replace it.

4. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Thanks guys. It's a brand new mower purchased this year. We just have t had warm enough weather to get a lot of regular mowing in.

Guess I will get it started and let it run for a while. Hopefully it will charge itself up....just trying to save myself the $50 battery replacement cost.

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Advance Auto has batteries on sale. Also, might try putting a charger on it to see if it will hold a charge.

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Invest in a battery tender to keep the charge 'topped off' during any downtime.

7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

You need to float charge it overnight, I would also go ahead and remove and clean the terminals and posts, then if that fails you may have to desulfate the battery or buy a new one.