1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Electric start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Nov 21, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

At what horsepower is a motor too hard to pull start?

Thank you,

Joel B.
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Shoot my 15HP Kohler has been a bear to start first thing in the morning since it's gotten colder. I would say though that it's probably not HP that does it but how many cylinders. Twins, I've never seen pull starts on.
  3. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

I have a Vanguard 18 hp Vtwin on my pressure washer it has a pull start , Its really not that bad to pull But I always use the electric start
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Probably 16-18hp is where you start to see the cutoff.

Green Pastures,

All the 15-17hp Kawi's that I see are pull start. And their twin cylinder.

It all depends on if the engine has compression release or not.

My old 12hp flathead "One Holer Kohler" on my old 1968 Cub Cadet would barely start with the factory starter! No way without compression release would you be able to start that engine with a rope!.
  5. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

Think about boat motors.....i seen put ropes on 40hp.
  6. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

Is their a way to convert a 16hp briggs v-twin pull start to an electric start?
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

But a lot of times its a few hundred for the kit....IF its still available!
  8. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

You can pull start a very big engine with commpresion relese.I once had a 400 dirt bike and with the realese a 100 pnd man could kick start it but without it it would dang near throw a 250 pound man over the handle bars .
  9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

SHOOT !!!!!
    I have a snowmobile with a 2 cylinder 768cc engine, 143 ponies under the hood, and I pull start that....lol...
    2 strokes with compression releases are a little different than 4 strokes with or without releases.
    Just bought a new sled last week, this one has electric start....he he he....lol
  10. Tom023

Tom023 LawnSite Member

What type of machine is this 16hp briggs on? I am considering buying a 18hp Vanguard (i believe it's a v-twin) on an original Great-Dane Surfer model pull start- for $4000. Seems like a good deal to me, but i wonder if the engine and fact that it's a pull are the reason it hasn't sold?