electric starts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by proenterprises, Jan 21, 2005.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i am looking to install an electric (key operated) start on my walkbehind. has anyone else done this, do i buy a kit, or have to build up on my own?

2. op4_camper

op4_camper LawnSite Member

The motor case had/has to have had the option to install a stater motor. If your not sure look on the sides of the case under the rewind. You will typically see two mounting holes and a opening into the rewind for the throw out gear. I believe you have to change the flywheel to. The other problem is you have to put in some type of charging system. You could just charge the battery with a portable charger every couple of days. To be honest its not worth doing. If the motor is running the way its suppose to will start on 2 or 3 pulls.

Here is a link to the parts of
    Kawasaki hit the next arrow for the prices. The link is to j thomas catalog.
    diagram

here is the prices.
    prices

cost.
    112.00 flywheel
    37.00 charging coil
    25.00 regulator
    116.00 starter

That seem to be a lot to add on. I have both on mine but I bought it that way. I would not go to the trouble to add it on one that didn't have it.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

If the mower has a option for elec start i say buy 1

4. op4_camper

If I understand his post he has a mower without one. so he would have to add it on at at high cost. Plus the endeavor is not for the average person. Besides the mechanical aspect theres the metal fabricating. Which could end up making a good mower look like a pos.

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

thanks. their is nothign wrong with my mower, is does stat in 2 pulls. just looking at the option. thanks alot for your resposne!

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

When i started with 5 cub pro walkbehinds you could buy a starter kit from cub battery box starter wireing harness it is the best money spent. i still have 3 of them turn a key.I am needing a small wb 36 or less nobody has a elec start,bought a simplicity 34 elec start hydro elec pto 4 gallon fuel tank.

7. op4_camper

Here is a update I found this from a site on ebay.

Starter kits

Then you can go to there ebay store for more kits

I have know idea how good of a store they are. He does have a rating of
    Feedback Score: 876
    Positive Feedback: 100%

I hope this helps you.