electric ztr????

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lazyike, Jul 18, 2007.

1. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

Not to be smart, and no I'm not a tree hugger but I was watching a news clip about how pessimistic people say we will be out of oil by 2020 and optimistic people say 2030, whats in store for our mowers?
    I started thinking that when I drove forklift I could run almost 10 hrs on a charge, why could'nt a big mower company (exmark, hustler, etc) make an electric mower? Mow 10 hrs then plug it in for the night? There would be allot less maint. 5 electric motors and resistors and some other stuff. ! motor left wheel, one right, and one for each blade, you could even have the blades on a rheostat so you could change tip speed. not to mention torque. and best part no noise???
    see what I think about after a pint of morgan.:drinkup:
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

They have mowers that run off propane. I don't know if you could get enough power and torque versus weight with an all electric Z. Possibly in the future. IDK. They might do something with the "corn" fuel, that seems to be where fuel is heading. It will be interesting to see what everything will be running off of in the near future.
  3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

The battery on the lift you drove for 10 hrs weighs aprox 3,000 lbs soooooo thats a little heavy. Ever seen an electric forklift run over grass not happening it will sink.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

These kinds of arguments always seem to presume that the generation of electricity is free, "... just plug it in." How did the electricity come to the point of distribution? Just because the oil products aren't put into the tank does not mean they have not been used elsewhere in the generation and distribution process.

I know your focus here is on availability of oil. But, usually these stories are related to pollution. A recent study has shown the pollution and energy use for hybrid cars is worse than typical gasoline-powered vehicles. When considering the energy needed to build the parts (e.g. batteries, etc), and the toxic materials required, the sum total of energy consumption and pollution is more for the hybrid. In other words, just because not putting gasoline in the tank, or not as much, does not mean the total product is better.

... but these make good "feel good" stories.
  5. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

A former neighbor about 20 some years ago had a General Electric lawn tractor, battery operated. Unit had 3 blades and a motor for each blade. I never asked about the drive 1 or two motors, but I did know with batteries it was quite heavy.
    It seemed strange to see him mowing and only the sound of the blades. He said they were designed to use around nursing homes, instituitions where they wanted to keep noise to a minimun.

He used the thing for the 4-5 years he lived there and carried it with him when they moved.

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I'be built those batteries for years. You would not need a battery as big as a forklift battery. Rather a electric pallet jack battery approx 600 lbs. You should be able to run it approx 6-8 hrs on a charge? There might even be a way to charge it as it runs???? I wouldn't be the first to buy one, but if it came out I would sure keep my eye on it.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Guys, not to rain on your parade but it takes electricity to re-charge those batteries, and unfortunately over 90% of all electric power is generated with (guess?) petrol ... Propane is all fine and dandy and there's plenty of it, until you need 100 million barrels a day...
    We're already experiencing problems with ethanol, corn-based stuff, yet another of those ideas that is all fine and dandy until one stops to think of the per day DEMAND for petrol. The good news is, Canada's tarpits contain at least as much oil as the Saudi oil fields, but gasoline HAS to cost OVER $3 / gallon for the canadians to find the extraction profitable (and they'd really prefer $4 / gallon because they get tired of every time oil drops below a certain price = they lose money).

You could, I suppose, invest 20 - 50 thousand in a solar panel electricity generating plant, that would power your house and you'd have left over so as to sell it back to the grid and pay off your investment... But there exists the problem that it takes 20-30 years to recover the investment and the warranty on the solar panels is good for 5 years...

There is, quite simply put, no alternative in existence today.
    Get rid of the farkin' suv's would be my first and last recommendation, maybe car pool.
  8. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

True but even an addtional 600 to a mower like a 60" ztr is still pushing it a bit. Just not practical at this moment in time down the road who knows.
  9. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

I know how electricity is made... but did you know that only 40% of our electricity comes from crude oil? the rest comes from coal ( before you say anything I know that is in short demand also) 20% comes from wind, solar, nuclear and hydro. Also it would take less than 10 gal of gas to recharge the batteries, All I was saying is why hasn't anyone tried to market it for when we do run out. I also can grantee that by the time we do run out of oil almost everything will be powered by electric, we do not need oil to make electric. Ohh and ethanol as a Minnesotan I also know that it takes a certain amount of crude to blend with corn alcohol to make ethanol.
  10. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Since when. Ethanol is grain alcohol, the alcohol found in beer, wine, and spirits. Brewers, distillers, and winemakers have never, never added crude to any grain, corn included to make ethanol.