Electric

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TexGreen, Nov 3, 2005.

1. TexGreen

TexGreen LawnSite Member

Anybody heard of decent electric equipment, esp. large deck equimpent or riders? Seems the trimmers and blowers do an okay job that I've used.

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Electric mowers, blowers and trimmers are nothing but GARBAGE for anything larger than a 1'x1' area. NO ONE makes or wants to make electric commercial power equipment. Why do you want electric anyway?

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Why would some one want electric power lawn equipment you ask? Well I know of one LCO that just turn down a account to a nursing home that wanted to keep things quit as possible and wanted him to buy electric power lawn equipment Noise, that is the reason for it 9 times out of 10. Sears did at one time years ago made an electric power riding mower. It ran on 6, 6 volt car batteries. I have one ever seen one and it was not in running order. It had a drive motor in the back the batteries under the hood and two small electric motors on the deck for the blades. I do not think any one is making such a thing now days but with gas prices and noise laws and the EPA I see them coming back from the grave before too long.

UPDATE
    You got me thinking and I did some checking and guess what?
    http://www.electrictractor.com/html/multi_prod.shtml

4. TexGreen

TexGreen LawnSite Member

There is a community nearby with some strict noise ordinances, and electric equipment always seems to be quieter.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

back before small engines were put on everything we used little wonder hedge trimmers (electric)but ran them off a gas generator (so much for the noise factor)

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Really? Strict noise ordinances huh? Time to get out the straight piped mowers with a straight piped cummins pullin them LOL!

7. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

I want an atomic powered Z, who needs gas?

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Fixer67: That Electric Ox is just about COOL! I don't know why tho... After running screaming loud mowers all day and weraing earplugs it'd be sweet to have one of those at home to mow in peace and quiet. Heck, mow at 2am, no one would care!