Electrical connection to Existing System??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by pblc, Mar 13, 2013.

1. pblc

pblc LawnSite Member
    from South

We are starting out in irrigation installation. Won the bid for a small addition to an existing irrigation system. Its a 150x300 rectangle with coverage from RB 5004s.

I am confused how to wire in the valves to be most efficient. How are we going to connect to the common without grounding out the others? (I don't remember this ever being covered in classes.) We are installing 10 zones into the backyard of a larger system that has a total of 20 zones already.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

:usflag:

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Just what do see as already being grounded on the existing system?

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Im not sure what more confusing, his question or yours.

4. pblc

pblc LawnSite Member
    from South

Ok..... how do we connect our common wire to have these new zones work with the existing system....?

5. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Find the closest existing valve and use that common wire to run to the rest of the valves.

Honestly, sub this out to someone who has done it and watch them. You may not make much money, but you will not loose a lot.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I still work with a lot of systems where no single part of the control wiring is grounded. If the ungrounded systems work for decade after decade, the need for grounding is not being demonstrated.

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Without field experience you are placing yourself in a tight spot and doing the client a disservice, hire a qualified sub and shadow him.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

In over your head Shoes, he's not talking about grounding. He's talking about the common. :waving:

9. pblc

pblc LawnSite Member
    from South

By the responses given.... I take it that connecting to an existing system will be more complicated than installing an entire new system?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. pblc

pblc LawnSite Member
    from South

I had planned on hooking onto the last valve and connecting the common wire to the new valve's common wire. And connecting all 10 new valves together in this manner.

However at the supply shop they had told me I needed to loop the last valve and wire back to the controller. And this is what confused me....
    Posted via Mobile Device