Electrical Diagnosis questions

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ArchZangel, Jul 6, 2005.

1. ArchZangel

ArchZangel LawnSite Member
    from Florida

For all u mechs out there. I worked on a Scag today. FH680V (23 Kaw) Came in for a "no crank problem" Turned out dead battery. Checked starting system. All good there. Checked charging system. Now if I am not mistaken. The regulator needs some voltage to work at all. Charged the battery and still showing nothing over 12.5. What I am asking is an affirmation of my diagnosis. I charged the battery enough to start the engine on its own. But yet it shows barely any charging. Low to high idle. 12.5-12.8 Put a new battery on and voila charges from 12.9-13.6 from low to high. A battery can be so dead that it takes no charge? Yet still had enough "surface" charge to start the engine? Oh it's maddening. OIh and get this it was a blown fuse that kept the battery from charging in the first place. I replaced it. i tested the mower for a while. When I was done, man that fuse starting melting already. Would dying electric clutch cause such draw, or ya'll think it just might be a crappy connector arcing? Sorry for all the questions but the whole thing is crazy.

ARA

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Anything over 12.6 is charging the battery so your readings after the new battery sounds good. I don't know about the fuse getting hot except a high resistance connection at the fuse holder itself. Does the fuse get hot when the clutch is disengaged?

4. ArchZangel

ArchZangel LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Thanks for the respose guys. The owner took the machine back. He just "Had" to have it back. So I never checked to really see if the fuse got hot without the blades engaed. I did get to run it for 5 min without the clutch on and I felt no difference, still darn hot!. I gave him some fuses. I expect to see him back soon. The other fuse was slightly melted too, but not open though. The fuse holder replacement. Never thought they could cause that much heat. I was always like they do or do not work. Yes the clutch is adjustable. He did adjust it because he said it was slipping. I seriously doubt he has the required .012 clearence. Well thanks again gentlemen. Nice to meet u all!

ARA

5. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

I have never felt like anything less than 13vdc was "charging". Also, I have had batteries that had a nice to look at voltage reading, but didnt have crap for amperage.
    Electrical problems are fun. I enjoy messing with that type of thing on a machine.