Electrical hookup question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TrapperJohn, May 9, 2004.

1. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn LawnSite Member

I'm dropping a 16hp Briggs Vanguard onto a mower that did not have an alternator on its previous engine. I know that the brown fuel solenoid wire goes to the ignition 'on' wire, but what do I connect the red alternator wire to? Sure hate to hook it to the wrong thing...

Thanks,

--John

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

John, the previous engine DID NOT have an alternator, therefore no battery and it was pull-start. Correct, so far? This one has an alternator and a battery? Using a multimeter, check between the red wire and ground for 13.8 - 14.2 volts. If so, then that is the wire to re-charge the battery with. Engine rpm's will directly affect the voltage of this wire...idling will have it at 12.0 volts and full rpm will have it at roughly 14.0-14.2 volts. Connect it to the positive side of the battery, and make sure it is a good tight connection. Any problems, send me a note. Let me know how it works out...JIM.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I have 3 files in PDF that would help you greatly but they are too big to upload here. 153KB is the limit here and there are 894 KB, 950KB, and 1.1MB. If you have an e-mail address that I can send them to or know of a site that I can up them to so you could get to them. The first two are Briggs files and the 3rd one is a Murray hand book. You could get a temp address at Yahoo?

4. fixer67

5. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn LawnSite Member

Thanks so much - that link did the trick, and then some. Simple answer is - connect alternator output to the hot side of the starter solenoid.

The mower did have a battery on it originally, but the wiring harness is such a mess that I couldn't tell where the original alternator connection went to. I'm rewiring it from scratch.

--John

BTW - the new engine is one of the black OEM 16hp v-twin Vanguards that seem to be showing up on the internet lately. Nice engine - only paid $500 for it, never been run.

6. fixer67

TrapperJohn> Glad I could help out there. I have seem my share of wiring messes. I work in a small engine shop and do a lot of wiring. It never fails, the battery will go dead for what ever reason and they start hacking the wiring harness to shreds or it will run out of gas and they start monkeying with the carburetor.