Electrical Issue - Exmark w/21 Kaw

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jason Pallas, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my guys thought he would help me out and hook up a battery to one of our Exmarks (21Kawasaki). Unfortunately, he hooked up the white and green leads to the positive side of the battery and they should have gone to the NEGATIVE side. Along the way, I think he may have blown something.
    I've done a little work and have the unit up and running. Howeer, I have a small problem still yet to solve.
    I had to disconnect the tilt switch and jumper it. The switch tests ok - a continuity test shows indicates that its ok. However, I have to disconnect the KILL lead (BLACK) that runs back to the coils to get it to run. It runs fine, but the kill doesn't work (obviously) and none of the safety switches work either.
    So, I know that I have continuity all the way from the black end at the engine all the way up to the black end at the key switch. It also appears that the parking brake switch may be bad - as a continuity tests shows that the swtich does not appear to be working.
    Is it possible that the reversal of the green and white leads from Negative to Positive caused this N.O N.O brake switch to blow? Any other possible culprits? Anyone ever do this? Thanks guys
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Jason, I'm not familiar with Exmarks but I just worked on one last week that had electrical problems, I found the interlock module bad on this one.

There is a good chance running positive voltage through the interlock system (which on most operate on a ground system) sent voltage to this module burning it and the brake switch up.

I don't know if there is a test for this module but if all the other switches test fine and the harness is not smoked/shorted this could be the problem.
  3. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Jason, as you probably know unfortantly green and white are negative on Exmark, white is kill from the engine coils and green is the safety ground if there is any safety switch that is dirty or old the fun begins. Pull out the wiring diagram in the owners manual and go sit on the thrown in the morning and start getting familiar with it, it is going to become your closest friend. Don't know what model you have but whatever Exmark is the best thing going!!!! Pull the front panel off and see if you have relays or a control module and if you have another Exmark pull the relay out of it and switch them out The relays are numbered on top,clean them and you will see a diagram on top also a part number go to a auto parts store and match one up if switching them out shows you have a bad one