Electrical Problem in Z-Master

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CamLand, Sep 5, 2007.

1. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

1998 Toro Zmaster 62" 25hp Kohler has a electrical issue that has me stumped. It wont start from ignition (new) but can jumped from solenoid (new) .I have had 2 shops look at this and cant figure the reason out.LMk if anyone has advise besides a 12 gauge into her...

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Post the full model and serial number off the unit so we can take a look.....

3. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Are you jumping the solenoid across the 2 big terminals only?
    IF SO, Jump 12V direct to the "small" terminal that comes from the switch. If it then cranks, the solenoid is good and you probably have a safety switch issue.
    If it doesn't crank, either the solenoid is bad (click), or it isn't grounded to the frame (no click)

4. CamLand

I have replaced all but the brake safety and the seat safety switches

model # 74201
    Serial # 890590

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I just wanted to take a look at your electrical system, Do you have a test light or multimeter ?

I find it strange that two shops couldn't figure this out....

Can you answer Bills question on how you are jumping it ?

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I am learning that a lot of "shop" are little more than "parts replaceres". They just replace part after part until the problems goes away. In fact they will replace the same part 10 times with a care as to why the parts keeps failing.

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Check post #8 of this thread about jumping the solenoid to help answer Bill's question.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=1926254#post1926254

8. CamLand

At this time yes that is how we have been getting it started off of both big terminals.Everything is either been replaced except for the harness (but it was checked for any broken or rubbed wires) and the 2 safety switches that were mentioned before...

9. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

And what happens when you complete the rest of the procedure outlined in Post#3?

10. CamLand

I'll be trying the rest on Friday and post outcome...but so we all know I have 2 small terminals...