Electrical problem.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CSRA Landscaping, Feb 5, 2002.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife's Ford Contour (I know it's not a truck but I figured you guys may be able to help) won't shut off the tbrake lights, even when the car is off. I think it may have something to do with the coffee that I spilled in it today (around the gear shifter) and also now the CC won't work. Battery is disconnected now so it won't run dead. Help!

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Let it dry out overnight (in a warm garage) Then see what happens in the morning. Could just be some liquid in a connection. If not you may need to start doing more work which will involve opening up the area around where the coffee was spilled.

3. CSRA Landscaping

Thanks, CT18. I figured that it may need to dry out, unfortunately it will have to be in freezing weather, as I have no garage. :(

4. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

most likely the stop light switch is out of adjustment. they are usually located on a bracket above the brake pedal. most have a plunger that can be slid into the bracket to adjust closer so light will go out. the cruise isnt working because the car thinks you have applied the brake. I hope this helps.

5. CSRA Landscaping

JC1, I will def. check that out! Thanks, I'll let you know if that does the trick after I check it.

6. CSRA Landscaping

JC1, you hit the nail right on the head. The switch had come out of the bracket. All I had to do was put it back in and twist. Didn't even have to use a screwdriver.:rolleyes:

I never would have thought of that without your help. Thank you.

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Well that had nothing to do with the coffee.

Glad you got it fixed.

8. CSRA Landscaping

LOL :laugh:
    CT18, I was extremely happy that it didn't have anything to do with the coffee. That most likely would have meant a short. :(

9. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am glad I was able to help. I have been reading and searching alot on here and have gained alot of knowledge from everyone here.