Electrical problems on FH500V

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dutch1, Dec 24, 2004.

1. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Hi, I'm new to this site. I was googling for service help on a 17hp Kaw for a Great Dane Surfer. I'm struggling with troubleshooting the electrical system. Problem: I have 16.5 volts out of two leads and 1.6 volts out of the third lead from the engine pigtail (at idle speed). Going to the next wiring harness after the voltage regulator and capacitor I do not have enough power to light up the clutch. The clutch will light with a 12 volt battery although I do need to check the resistance in the clutch. Both relays appear to be OK as I substituted a new one in each hookup. I realize I still need to check output of charging ring at full throttle. Is there anyone out there who may have some ideas. Also would be interested in any checks/specs on voltage regulator and capacitor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

If you can get the spec and type number I will look into it.

3. dutch1

from Jayhawk

Code: FH500V-AS20
    E/no:FH500vA26176

4. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

Hello Dutch, I went to Kawaski.com and looked up your engine. There was a note for the engine you have that says it was designed for a self servicing OEM, contact the equipment manufacturer for service and warranty. What this means is that Kaw made a special deal with Great Dane and the only way to get parts or service is through a Dane dealer :mad:
    So this makes repair more difficult. Test the voltage at the battery with a volt meter at idle then spin the motor up to top gov, you should see about 14.2 or so volts and it should be around 11.8 or so at idle. To check the stator output you switch to AC volts and check at top gov. The snag is because this is Great Dane spec motor they are the only ones that have the spec. I dont think that the voltage you have is enough but I dont have a spec. You could call a Dane dealer and they may give you the spec. There are pretty much only two parts to the charging system assuming the battery and wiring are good. They are the stator and the regulator rectifier. I know this may sound vague but Dane has a deal with Kaw and they are kind of forcing you to go to a Dane dealer.

5. roket77

roket77 LawnSite Member

i dont know what your mower is doing but for 4 months last year,i had a problem with my clutch going in and out and some other problems,,no one(dealer) could figure it out so i hired a guy and he like clean equipment so on my char jr. there was a wire that was wedged between gas tank and frame and grass collected there and over time that grass would get wet and eventually wore out insulation around wire and the wire came in contact periodically with the frame and was shorting out,,fixed wire and never had problem again,,check all wires to make sure they are fine,,even ones you dont think will be a problem,,oh by the way,,thae damn kaw fh500v that was specially made for this piece of sh&t is $1700 and broke a piston rod,,i need a new engine now,,,looking foor one,,,good luck

6. dutch1

from Jayhawk

I went to sleep at the wheel. When I had no real solutions presented, I pretty much let the forum slide. I did find the problem--with a VOM I found that the resistance in the clutch was out spec. I called Warner Clutch to find the specifications.