1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Electrical Problems with Mini FasTrak (First Day)

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Von, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Von

Von LawnSite Member

I found out about Hustler through my brother-in-law. He is looking at a mini-Z. Today I bought a Mini FasTrak (15HP Kohler / 36" FST15KOH36A). I have 1/2 acre with lots of curves and things to go around.
    It went well for the first hour. :weightlifter: Then the mower just stopped. :confused: Eventually, I figured out that a 10amp fuse was blown. Ahhh! No big deal I thought. I'll replaced it. Started it back up and it ran for another 20 minutes before stopping again...another blown fuse. Errr. Starting to get a little ticked. :dizzy:

I called my dealer, they were closing up shop but I was able to talk with a tech. He said that when they wash a new mower, water can get in the casing and cause shorts. I told him that I was mowing for an hour before this stated and he seemed stumped. He suggested I bring it back in to the shop. Errrrrr! Frustration setting in. :cry:

Well, I wanted to get it into my garage so I wasted 3 or 4 more fuses, then I was out of fuses. I left the mini where it was and took a ride to my local home depot where I purchased about 10 more fuses. I got back home, popped in another fuse and Walla! It started right up. I thought, alright this is great! It ran for less than one minute and quit again. Errrrr! By this point, I want my money back! :nono:

I'm thinking it has to be something related to heat because it simply would not keep a fuse before I went to home depot (when it was warm). As soon as I turned the key one click...POP! :hammerhead: There goes the fuse.

More: The salesman told me that it was a 2006 model but after messing with the fuses I noticed that the exhaust piping looks quite rusty. Can anyone tell me when this was made? ;) The serial number is 04061483.

I plan to take it back tomorrow and demand my money back ($3280 taxes included). Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks for listening to my vent!
    Von :waving:
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Please e-mail me your information along with your dealers information ASAP.
    I will get this looked into, there must be a short somewhere.
    We will make sure you are taken care of, no matter what it takes.

3. Von

Von LawnSite Member

I made up my mind that I would not be keeping the unit that I bought yesterday. I took it back to the dealer shortly after they opened. The salesman was frustrated as well, I don't think he's used to problems on the Hustler line. They also put another fuse in and, of course, it blew. Anyway, they gave me a refund on short order.

Later, he called and said that a wire with missing insulation was coming in contact with the clutch mechanism causing a short. In the mean time, I've resumed my research. So far, Hustler is still on top. After my blood pressure gets back to normal, I'll may go back and try another one.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

i received your e-mail thank you for sending it, unfortunately you have already returned your mower.
    We will do what it takes to take care of the customer and any problems you may have.
    I hope to see you post that you have chosen the Hustler product again, this time with no problems of course.

5. 46mack

46mack LawnSite Member

go back and see your dealer. check out all the postings here. you will only read about a couple of problem units and i think that they were probably damaged by the shipper. if you were really in luv with the 36, see if he will sell you the 42 for the same price? you know that it is not the same unit and it will be much easier to trim around trees. you are right, hustler is the best for the buck.
  6. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

hey Von, i hope this was just a reflex reaction to an unusual situation. look at the way your problem was addressed and resolved. then read some other post where Hustler owner's have had problems and how they were resolved. you will not find another lc manufacturer that will stand behind their product and leave no stone unturned to satisfy their customer the way Hustler will. this company should be a held up as a model for any manufacturer.
  7. Von

Von LawnSite Member

I appreciate the feedback. My dealer didn't have another 36". I did ask him about coming down some on the price for a 17/42. He wouldn't budge. As a matter of fact, I've seen pricing on one of this forum's "sticky's" that was better. He wanted quite a bit more than what I paid for the 15/36".

However, I was able to snag a deal on a 17/42 from another dealer (my dealer now). It's a little further away but he will pick up and deliver on any warranty issues (3yrs...nice). I just got in from riding it around. This baby has a LOT more power (IMO). Getting across my creek is no problem (a lesson from the guy who delivered/sold it to me also helped:rolleyes:).

I'm also more comfortable next to the edges of my creek where there is a slight slope. It just seemed to have much more power available. You're right, the extra 6 inches helps when doing close-in work (trees etc.) too.

Well, I can't wait for my grass to grow again so that I can whack it down to size. My buddy invited me over to his place to cut if I get impatient with my own lawn.:)

By the way, I checked out every brand of mower under the sun (at least 25), and when it comes to bang for the buck, the Hustler is is on top. My brother-in-law is drooling. He's looking at the mini-Z for a 2 acre yard. I hooked him up with my new salesman/dealer.

So for closure on this post, my original 15/36" mft would have probably been fine but I just didn't trust it after the problems. Probably just psychological. I didn't want to take the chance. But, all has worked out well, so far. I let you know how my first cut (this weekend) goes.

Thanks again,
  8. ballsley02

ballsley02 LawnSite Member
    from MA

Ugh i am having the same exact promblem. PJ I just emaied you
  9. Von

Von LawnSite Member

Searching through these forums, I've found that the original 15/36" mft that I bought (the one with electrical problems) was manufactured in June of 2004. My first dealer/saleman told me that it was a new 2006 model. I'm glad I took it back now. I don't like when folks misrepresent their products.

As can be seen in previous post though, I'm the happy new owner of a 17/42" mft. I should have a couple of hours on it within a week or so.

I forget the name of the Hustler representative who monitors this forum, but it's nice to know we have a good resource and support here. Thanks.

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I replied to your other post and replied to your email also.